In today’s culinary adventure, we’re diving into the world of crispy bacon, courtesy of our trusty air fryer. I’m about to unveil a no-fuss method to achieve bacon perfection, capturing that crispy edge and juicy center every time.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my terms to learn more.
The beauty of this technique lies not only in the flavor-packed bacon itself but in the art of using the air fryer effectively. It’s a seamless blend of the right cut, seasoning, temperature, and timing.
The Ultimate Air Fryer Bacon Guide
Air frying has transformed bacon-cooking, offering a simple, mess-free method with fewer calories.
To nail that crave-worthy crunch, you’ll want to follow your air fryer’s specific guidelines, as different bacons demand distinct temperatures and timings. The allure of the air fryer?
Healthier, delicious dishes without the hazards of sizzling stove-top grease.
So, if you’re chasing that perfect crispy bacon with an aroma that fills the room, ensure you’re tuned in to your fryer’s unique settings. Dive in and relish the results!
Types of Bacon
When it comes to making delicious air fryer bacon, you have many choices. A popular option is traditional pork bacon, its natural fat content makes it perfect for air frying.
If you’re looking for something else, turkey and even vegan bacon can also be cooked using this method with satisfactory results. For best results stick to the classic pork variety.
But remember that cooking times may vary depending on the thickness and kind of bacon being used. You are free to experiment with different types if your dietary requirements or preferences dictate so!
Ideal Temperature and Cooking Time
Achieving the perfect crispy air fryer bacon requires precision regarding temperature and cooking time.
I suggest 350°F for about 7-10 minutes – this heat level will ensure your bacon is cooked through while also melting fat, producing that scrumptious crispiness!
Note: You might need some extra time if using thick cut or other types of bacon, so be sure to monitor your food midway during its cook time and adjust as necessary. Here you can have a look at my free printables Oven To Air Fryer Conversion.
Certain air fryers require preheating before you can start frying. Consult the manual first, just in case.
Preparing Your Bacon for the Air Fryer
When air frying bacon, proper preparation of the slices is critical. Begin by cutting them in half crosswise to ensure they fit neatly in the air fryer basket.
Before placing them inside, dry each slice with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Arrange the bacon in a single layer without overlapping; this promotes even cooking and achieves that desired crispiness.
There’s no need to add any oil because bacon naturally releases its own fat while cooking. Always remember to drain the excess grease between batches to prevent any smoke.
For a clever trick, consider placing some bread at the bottom of the fryer. It will absorb the tasty drippings, giving you a bonus treat
If you want to give your air-fried bacon an even more delicious flavor, experimenting with different seasonings is the way to go.
- Pepper and Smoked Paprika: A classic combo that offers a blend of spicy and smoky. The paprika lends a deep, smoky undertone while pepper adds that zesty kick.
- Brown Sugar: A dash on top will caramelize and give your bacon a sweet, crispy crust. This is particularly great if you’re aiming for that sweet-savory balance.
- Maple Syrup: Drizzle a bit for a Canadian twist. The syrup caramelizes and complements the salty nature of the bacon beautifully.
- Garlic Powder: For those who want a garlicky note.
- Cayenne Pepper: For those who desire an extra spicy kick. Be cautious, as its heat can intensify during cooking.
- Herbs: Think rosemary or thyme. They provide an earthy, aromatic flavor profile to the bacon.
Remember, pre-cooked bacon already has a good amount of sodium, so there’s no need for extra salt. But don’t let that limit your creativity! Experimenting within these guidelines guarantees those perfect crispy strips every time.
How do you cook bacon in an air fryer?
- Prep: If bacon strips are long, cut them in half. Dab with a tissue to eliminate extra dampness.
- Arrange: Place the bacon slices flat and without overlap on the air fryer tray. If desired, line the rack with foil or parchment for easier cleanup.
- Season: Lightly sprinkle bacon with smoked paprika and mixed peppers.
- Cook: Place the rack in the air fryer. Set to 380°F and cook for 10 minutes. Check around the 5-7 minute mark and adjust time if needed based on desired crispness.
5. Serve: Plate your crispy bacon and enjoy immediately, perhaps with some scrambled eggs and tomatoes on the side!
Air Fryer Techniques for Crispy Bacon
Air Frying Bacon: Tips for Crisp Perfection
- The Twist Technique: For especially crunchy strips, give your bacon a twist!
- Why it works: Twirling each slice before placing it in the fryer increases the surface area exposed to heat.
- End Result: A uniquely crispy, spiral delight.
- Dump and Go: Simplicity at its finest.
- What to do: Drop your bacon slices into the fryer without overthinking arrangement.
- Presentation vs. Taste: While it might not win beauty contests, it’s unbeatably tasty.
- One Layer Rule: Avoid overloading!
- The Key: Place only a single layer of bacon in the fryer.
- Why it matters: Prevents smoke from trapped grease and ensures even cooking. Check halfway to avoid overcooking.
Air Fryer Equipment Essentials
For deliciously crispy air fryer bacon, you’ll need the ideal tool for cooking. Air fryers come in two different models: basket and oven-style.
Basket types are great as they are compact, making them perfect to use on a daily basis since it is also easy to store and clean after each session of frying with this method.
On the other hand, an oven-style model which includes racks offers more room for larger portions while providing even heat distribution ensuring perfectly cooked bacon every time. When choosing your fryer, be sure that you select one suitable for your needs.
Recommended Air Fryers
Serving Ideas for Air Fried Bacon
Air fried bacon is incredibly diverse and can be enjoyed in numerous ways. To add a classic taste to your morning meal, combine the crispy bacon with eggs.
- Pancakes/Waffles: Fluffy or crispy breakfast staples perfect to pair with sweet or savory toppings.
- Dates: Sweet and chewy fruits, ideal for stuffing or wrapping.
- Goat Cheese: A creamy and tangy cheese that pairs well with sweet or savory snacks.
- Salads: Fresh greens and veggies that benefit from a bacon crunch topping.
- Potato Dishes (e.g. Hash Browns, Potato Salad): Versatile dishes where the texture and taste of potatoes shine; bacon adds an extra layer of flavor.
- Sandwiches: Staple meal options that can be enhanced with the savory addition of bacon layers.
With these ingredients in your arsenal, the culinary possibilities are boundless!
Storing and Reheating Air Fryer Bacon
The air fryer is the ideal tool to reheat bacon that has been left over. For more info can also check my articles on how to reheat pizza in the air-fryer, or can you put parchment paper in an air-fryer.
To keep it fresh and tasty, let it cool off then place in a silicone bag or glass container before storing it inside your refrigerator for no more than 5-6 days.
For longer storage times, lay strips of bacon out on parchment paper in a single layer so they don’t stick together and put them in the freezer.
Once frozen, transfer them into an air-tight freezer-safe Ziploc bag or other boxes. When you’re ready for consumption, pop back into the preheated 350°F Air Fryer until crispy again, this ensures optimal taste every time!
Additional Air Fryer Recipes
If you adore the ease and deliciousness that air frying bacon offers, then why not try out more meals made in an air fryer?
You can use it to make air-fryer chicken thighs or air-fryer sirloin steak for a quick lunch, such as air-fryer sweet potato cubes. By broadening your repertoire of recipes involving your beloved appliance, you’ll have a range of tasty options on hand each day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Air fryers are versatile enough to handle both thick and thin slices. For thicker cuts, preheat your air fryer to 360°F and cook for 12-15 minutes, flipping midway through the process. For thinner slices, 8-10 minutes at 370°F should do the trick, remember to turn them over halfway. This will ensure even cooking and perfect crispiness for both types!
One of the advantages of using an air fryer is the minimal need for added oils. Bacon naturally releases fat when cooked, which ensures it doesn’t stick to the fryer. So, there’s no need to use additional oil when air frying bacon. Just lay out your strips, and the fryer will take care of the rest!
Cooking raw bacon in an air fryer is possible! To obtain the most delicious results, preheat your appliance to 350°F and cook for 7-9 minutes. If necessary, be sure to cut the bacon strips into halves so they fit neatly inside the basket. This way you’ll get perfectly crispy treats that will hit all the right spots!
If you’re looking for a healthier way to cook bacon, then air frying is the answer. This method of cooking reduces fat and eliminates using unhealthy oils. Air fryers are capable of producing cooked deliciousness with less saturated fats that make it much more healthy than fried bacon.
Crispy Air Fryer Bacon
- 0.5 lb bacon
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Pinch of mixed peppers
- Start by cutting longer bacon strips in half to ensure even cooking. Using a paper towel, blot each bacon strip to remove excess moisture for that perfect crispiness.
- Lay the bacon strips on the air fryer rack without overlapping. For a tidier process, line the rack with foil or parchment paper before positioning the bacon.
- Once your bacon is set, sprinkle smoked paprika and mixed peppers over the strips to enhance the taste.
- Insert the bacon-filled rack into the air fryer and cook at 380°F (193°C) for about 10 minutes.
- Mid-Cook Check: Around 5 to 7 minutes into the cooking, examine the bacon's progress. Adjust the time if needed based on your desired crispness and the bacon's thickness.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve your perfectly cooked bacon with scrambled eggs.