Today I will show you how to make one of my all-time favorite vegan snacks: crispy air fryer sweet potato cubes. This recipe is incredibly easy to make and a lot more flavorful than most of the air fryer sweet potato recipes you find today.
Give them a try, and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Why I Am Obsessed With These Cubed Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
When I initially started developing this recipe, the most important things I tried to focus on were flavor and texture. It took me many trials, but I finally got it! The ultimate, unique, and uber-tasty sweet potato bites!
The texture of these cubes is super crispy with a soft and fluffy interior. Unlike many other similar recipes, this one isn’t dry or bland, and it’s really hard not to get them as good as I did! You just have to follow my steps exactly.
Then, when it comes to flavor, I didn’t just want to season them with boring salt and pepper. Don’t get me wrong! There are few things as delicious as salty fries. But there are also millions of recipes like that already.
So again, after many, MANY trials, I finally created a delicious seasoning blend that really works well with the natural sweetness of the cubes.
If I must say so myself, this is one of my favorite sweet potato recipes ever! It’s incredibly easy to make, doesn’t take a ton of time or effort, makes uber-crispy tender sweet potatoes, and is beautifully seasoned in a unique way.
Don’t believe me? Well, you’ll just have to give them a try yourself!
- Sweet Potatoes: make sure you use fresh sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil: adds flavor and helps make the cubes crispy
- Spices: I used a combination of garlic powder, paprika, Rosmarin, onion powder, and black pepper salt.
How Long To Cook Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
On average, air fryer sweet potatoes take about 15-20 minutes to cook all the way through and get crispy skin.
But keep in mind that if you make the cubes larger, they will take longer to cook. And, if you make them smaller than 1/2-inch blocks, they will cook much quicker.
Also, the temperature of your air-fryer will play a big role in the overall cooking time. Even lowering it to 360ºF (180ºC) will increase the baking time by 5-15 minutes!
That’s why I always bake my potato cubes or sweet potato fries at 400ºF.
How to cut sweet potatoes into cubes
First, cut off the ends of the sweet potato and discard them. Then, slice it lengthwise into slices, and choose your desired thickness. The thicker the slices, the larger your cubes will be. Cut each slice into strips of your desired size.
Finally, cut each of the strips into cubes of the the same size. This will ensure that your sweet potato cubes cook evenly in the air fryer.
How To Use These Sweet Potatoes Cubes
There is virtually an unlimited number of ways you can use and serve crispy air fryer sweet potato chunks.
First, you can obviously serve them on their own. And if I am being completely honest, a lot of the “trials” done for this recipe were more motivated by my snackiness than necessity!
Everybody loves these delicious salty treats, and they really do hit the spot. You can serve them with a dipping sauce, but I don’t think they need it!
You can also incorporate crispy sweet potato cubes into salads, pasta, and casseroles. I often make a vegan lasagna with these. It’s incredibly tasty!
And a great example of a salad to incorporate these bites into is this classic Chicken Kale Salad. The cooled sweet potato bites will add some sweetness, earthiness, and a ton of spiced flavors.
Tips And Tricks
- You can use a vegetable scrubber to remove any tough stains on the sweet potatoes. Don’t skip the cleaning process. It’s a lot more difficult to properly clean a sweet potato than a regular potato. However, you will instantly taste the dirt and sand grains if you don’t clean between every nook and cranny.
- You don’t have to peel the sweet potato unless you want to. I prefer them with their skins on to give them a crispier part.
- Do not overload the air-fryer basket. This can cause the cubes to become soggy and will increase the overall baking time. Make sure you lay down the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- You can add more salt to the air-fried sweet potato cubes after they have cooked. You don’t want to overseason them from the get-go.
This technique is used by many people. But it’s not necessary. It is supposed to remove excess starch, which ultimately helps make the cubes or fried crispier. But again, my technique on its own is all you need for these crispy bites!
As I’ve mentioned, you need to use a high cooking temperature and avoid over-crowding the air-fryer basket. Both will cause the sweet potatoes to steam and not fry. That’s why they become soggy.
The crispiness will eventually go away if the sweet potatoes are stored for too long. The only way to keep them crispy is to re-crisp them before serving them again. You can retain their delicious flavors and soft textures by storing them in an airtight container in the fridge. But again, you need to re-crisp them.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes – Uber-Crispy, Flavor-Packed Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves, finely crushed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- First, preheat the air-fryer to 400ºF (200ºC). If you'd like, you can line the air-fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Wash and clean the sweet potatoes. Cut away any bad bits and pat them dry.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. I like to make my cubes roughly 1/2-inch big.
- Once cubed, place all of the sweet potatoes inside a large mixing bowl.
- Add all spices and the olive oil. Toss the ingredients together well to ensure all of the sweet potato cubes have been coated.
- Place the seasoned bites into the air-fryer basket. Make sure they don't overlap.
- Fry the pieces for roughly 15-20 minutes. You can give them a toss around the 10-minute mark.
- Only once the sweet potato bites are crispy can you remove them. They should be fully cooked, tender, and crunchy! Serve them with your favorite sauce or meal.