Looking for a Simpsons-inspired donut recipe that doesn’t require any deep frying? Then you need to try this air fryer Homer Simpson donut recipe! These delicious treats are perfect for any Simpsons fan, and they’re a lot healthier than traditional fried donuts. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
Milk: Use any type of milk you have on hand, I used almond milk
Yeast: This recipe uses active dry yeast
Sugar: Any type of sugar will work, I used white granulated sugar
Bread flour: You can also use all-purpose flour
Butter: You could also use margarine or vegetable shortening
Egg: For a vegan version of this recipe, you could use a “chia egg”
Vanilla extract: This is optional, but I love the flavor it adds
Salt: This helps to balance out the sweetness of the doughnuts
Cinnamon: Again, this is optional, but I love cinnamon in my doughnuts!
Powdered sugar: This is for the glaze
Pink food color: This is also for the glaze, you could use any color you like!
Water: This is to thin out the glaze so that it’s easier to dip the doughnuts in
Rainbow sprinkles: These are also optional, but they’re so much fun!
How to Make Air Fryer Homer Simpson Donuts
Once you’ve mixed up the donut dough according to the recipe below, knead it thoroughly before rolling it out onto a floured surface. Use a donut cutter (or a biscuit cutter and a smaller circle cookie cutter) to cut out the Homer Simpson donuts, then place them on a greased baking sheet.
Allow them to rise for 45 minutes before air frying at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for four to six minutes.
While the donuts are in the air fryer, whisk together the powdered sugar, food coloring, and water to make the glaze. Dip the top of each donut into the glaze, then set them back on the cooling rack and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles. Serve immediately!
Topping Ideas for Homer Simpson Donuts
Simpsons fans will love these donuts topped with rainbow sprinkles, but you could also try:
Chocolate glaze: Omit the food coloring and add ¼ cup of cocoa powder to the glaze recipe.
Maple glaze: Substitute maple syrup for the jam in the recipe below.
Nuts: Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the glaze for a crunchy topping.
Cinnamon sugar: Combine ¼ cup sugar with ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the donuts.
Crushed-up cookies or candy pieces: Get creative and top your donuts with your favorite cookies or candy! Just make sure the pieces are small enough to fit through the hole in the middle of the donut.
Whatever topping you choose, make sure to enjoy your donuts while they’re still warm!
Tips & Tricks for Making Perfect Air Fryer Donuts
Making donuts in an air fryer is a lot easier than you might think, but there are a few things to keep in mind to make sure they turn out perfectly:
- Make sure your dough is well-kneaded before rolling it out. This will help to ensure that the donuts are nice and fluffy.
- When you roll the dough make sure it is about ¼-inch thick so that the donuts are soft and tender.
- If you don’t have a donut cutter, you can use a biscuit cutter and a smaller circle cookie cutter to cut out the Homer Simpson donuts,
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. You’ll need to cook the donuts in batches so that they have enough space to cook evenly.
- These donuts are best served fresh.
Air-Frying vs Deep-Frying
Air-fried donuts are a healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried donuts because they’re cooked in less oil. This means that they’re lower in calories and fat, and they’re also more likely to be cooked evenly.
Deep-fried donuts are usually denser and heavier than air-fried doughnuts, but some people prefer the taste and texture of deep-fried doughnuts.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, go with air-fried donuts. If you’re looking for the traditional taste and texture of fried doughnuts, go with deep-fried donuts. Either way, you can’t go wrong!
More Delicious Sweet Recipes
What are your favorite Simpsons-themed treats? Let me know and don’t forget to share this recipe with your fellow Simpsons fans! until next time, stay sweet! 🙂
Air Fryer Homer Simpson Donut
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- 3¼ cups bread flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp pink food coloring
- 1 Tbsp water
- rainbow sprinkles
- Combine the warm milk with the yeast in a large bowl and keep it covert for around 10 minutes until the yeast is bubbly.
- Then add the melted butter, sugar, beaten egg, vanilla and mix it well together.
- Take ¼ of the bread flour and slowly sieve the flour and salt into the wet ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, mix to combine until you have a soft sticky dough. If you are using a food mixer with a dough hook, follow the same instructions, however, turn on the machine at a slow speed to combine the ingredients.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead, covering your hands in flour to stop the dough from sticking. Knead until soft and stretchy – approximately 8 minutes. If you are using a food mixer with a dough hook, this can do the job for you. Knead the dough for 5 minutes on medium speed.
- Place the dough in a clean greased bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise for an hour to 2 hours, depending on how warm an environment is.
- Once the dough is doubled in size, roll it out to 1-inch thick and cut out circles using a 4 inch round cookie cutter. Place the circles on a greased sheet tray and then cut a 1-inch circle out of the center of each donut. Or use a donut cutter.
- Cover the tray loosely with plastic wrap or a tower and set aside for another 45 minutes, allowing the dough to rise again.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350F / 180C for a few minute, the spray the Air Fryer basket with oil spray, slowly transfer 3- 4 donuts in the to air fryer basket. Spray donuts with oil spray and cook at 350F until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes. Repeat with remaining donuts and holes.
- While the donuts are in the Air Fryer whisk together the powdered sugar, jam, and water until you have an icing of thick dropping consistency.
- Dip the top of each donut into the icing mix then place it back on the cooling rack and sprinkle with the rainbow sprinkles. Enjoy while nice and warm!