Today’s breakfast tortilla cups recipe is extremely easy to make and super versatile, all while staying true to the tortilla’s hearty flavor and filling nature.
Give them a try and let me know which variations you tried!
Tortilla Breakfast Cups Ingredients
Eggs: Eggs are the base of this recipe. Use fresh eggs and season them generously with salt and pepper to bring out their flavor.
Tortillas: I used burrito-sized flour tortillas. They are soft and pliable enough to form into cups and will not tear while you are working with them.
Chili Powder: Chili powder adds a kick of spice to the breakfast egg cups.
Tomato: Tomatoes add a little bit of acidity and sweetness to the breakfast cups and help balance the heat from the chili powder.
Mozzarella cheese: You can use any type of cheese you want. I opted for mozzarella cheese because it will not overpower the other flavors.
Bell peppers: Bell peppers add texture and flavor.
Spinach: Spinach adds a burst of color to these tortilla cups.
How to Make Breakfast Tortilla Cups
Cut the Tortillas
For this particular recipe, we will be cutting the tortilla into a circle and placing it into a muffin tin. I like to use flour tortillas, the large ones.
Although you could use corn tortillas, I would not recommend it. Corn tortillas may crack while folding and placing them in the muffin tin.
You can use a 4 1/2 -inch diameter to cut the tortillas into rounds. I used a bowl and my trusty knife to make the tortilla rounds.
Simply place a bowl that has a 4 1/2-inch rim onto a tortilla and run your knife around the bowl to create a circle.
Make the Filling
After cutting your tortillas, spray your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Combine eggs and vegetables and beat them before adding your seasonings.
Add half the cheese in and you’re ready to assemble the breakfast cups.
Place your tortilla rounds in the muffin tin and add your egg mixture. Top with cheese and in the oven they go. Let them get all nice and golden and get ready to eat them.
How to Store the Breakfast Tortilla Cups
If you have any leftovers, which I doubt you will, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for 3-4 days. You can also freeze them and have breakfast at the ready for the next few days.
To reheat frozen tortilla breakfast cups, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. Place them in the oven or in the microwave and you have fresh tortilla cups in no time.
Tips And Tricks For This Breakfast Tortilla Cups
- If you’d like, you can crack whole eggs into the cups instead of making scrambled eggs. Add your ingredients at the bottom of the tortilla and top with an egg. Add your seasonings (spices and sauces) on the top. I prefer making fluffy scrambled eggs instead but to each his own.
- If you don’t have a muffin pan, you can also use a cupcake pan or loaf pan – anything that will help you make the cup shape and hold the cheese and egg mixture. I even sometimes make a foil stand (cup) that holds the sides of the tortillas upright.
What can you serve with these delicious breakfast tortilla cups?
I like to keep it simple and on theme. These crispy breakfast tortilla cups go great with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, ketchup, and fresh veggies. You can also serve them as part of a breakfast buffet with Pumpkin Waffles, Crispy Bacon, and a Banana Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie.
Tortilla Breakfast Cups
- 9 Tortillas
- 3-4 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 small yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh Spinach leaves, chopped
- Non-stick Cooking spray
- Arrange the tortillas on a level surface and place a 4-5 inch circular bowl on top.
- Run a knife around the bowl to cut the tortillas into rounds.
- In the meantime, spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the salt, pepper, and chili powder to them. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, and 1/2 cup shredded mozarella cheese.
- Arrange the tortilla rounds into the prepared muffin tin by pressing the bottom down so it lays flat. Move the edges around to ensure fit and it should look like a cup.
- Ladle a scoop of the egg mixture into the tortilla cups and add the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella on top.
- Bake the tortilla breakfast cups at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until the eggs are set and the cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy!