Piri Piri is a chilly that originated in South America (as they all did). But now it grows wildly in Africa and is grown commercially there too. The Piri Piri chicken is a specialty of the Algarve in Portugal and has been around since the 15th century. Piri Piri sauce is ground pepper mixed with an assortment of classic European flavors, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt, bay leaves, and lemon juice. It is becoming wildly popular worldwide, and you’ll find it on the menu almost anywhere you go.
I like to add some extra spice to mine to give it my slant with some paprika, pepper powder, and chili flakes. It packs a nice punch! It goes well with some roasted veg or a lovely green salad to keep things friendly and straightforward. You could even try it with my Kachumbari salad or Jamaican rice and peas. Get this one into your regular roster. You won’t regret it. Enjoy!
AIR FRYER CRISPY PIRI PIRI CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- 6 Chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 3 tablespoons Piri piri
- First, add the chicken drumsticks to a large bowl and lemon, paprika, pepper powder, salt, chili flakes, and Piri Piri. Mix everything well together.
- Leave the marinated chicken sit for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Add the drumsticks to the air fryer basket, and make sure they are not too close to each other. Air fry them at 400ºF / 200ºC until the chicken is crisp outside and done from the inside. Fry them for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with a herbs yogurt sauce or hot sauce.