These Steven Universe potato bites are a fun new way of serving potatoes or even off-cuts! They are super easy to make, don’t take up a ton of time, and have an amazing texture and flavor! Fry Bits are soft and tender on the inside, but extremely crisp on the outside.
So, read on to learn how I make the ultimate Steven Universe Fry Bits recipe in less than an hour!
Where Do These Potato Bites Come From?
The Steven Universe potato bites officially go by another name, Fry Bits. Mr. Fryman makes this delicious snack at the Beach Citywalk Fries restaurant.
These salty treats are made from off-cut potato pieces from items that are actually on the menu. My. Fryman simply chops them up, fries them to become super crispy, and flavors them with some spices.
And that’s it! Who knew that fries are still being re-invented today?
How To Choose The Best Potatoes
When buying fresh potatoes from the store, the first thing to look out for is mold, sprouts, and rot. Any one of these three signs indicates that the potato isn’t good anymore.
Your potatoes should have smooth skin, a firm texture, and be free of any sprouts. The color of the potatoes should be uniform. Any darker, black, or green spots show that the potatoes aren’t the freshest.
Why Do Potatoes Go Green?
Potatoes will turn green when they are not correctly stored. These vegetables should be kept in a cool, dry, and most importantly, dark place. Otherwise, the chlorophyll levels in the plant will turn green.
The green color is also an indicator that there are high levels of toxins in the plants. So, if your potatoes are green, rather toss them to prevent any serious food poisoning.
When Do Potatoes Go Bad?
Potatoes can have a very long shelf life. But only if you store them properly. These root vegetables go bad when exposed to light, heat, and humidity (moisture).
If you keep them in a cool dark place, they can easily last a couple of weeks, maybe even months!
Tips And Tricks For Getting The Crispiest Steven Universe Potato Bites When Deep-Frying
- When you cut the potatoes, there is no exact measurement. Remember, this snack is made from “off-cut” potatoes. So, you can ultimately cut them however you’d like. But, the larger the pieces the longer they will take to cook. So, I like to cut them thin and small.
- It is crucial that you pat the potato pieces dry with a kitchen towel before frying them. You should not add any water or droplets to hot oil. It causes the oil to splatter everywhere. This can lead to serious injury and severe oil burns.
- The exact cooking time for these Steven Universe Fry Bits will depend on the thickness of your potato pieces. The thicker they are, the longer they will take to cook and become crispy. This is why I like to cut mine thin.
Variations On This Steven Universe Potato Bites Recipe
Naturally, you can change the shape of the Steven Universe Potato Bites as you’d like. In the series, they are all relatively small. But, if you want to make deep-fried potato rounds or fries, you can. My recipe will still give you incredibly crisp potatoes. The only thing that will change is the frying time.
Then, you can also use any type of spice you’d like to flavor your potato bites. I personally like to use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. These make super savory and flavor-packed bites.
As an alternative to deep-fried crispy potato bites, you can make this Fry Bits recipe in an oven. And better yet, make them in an air fryer to cut down on even more oil! You can use my informative article on using an air fryer as a guide.
Why Do You Put The Potatoes In Cold Water?
This is a technique many professionals use. It helps remove any excess starch that clings to the potatoes.
Starch doesn’t allow the potatoes to cook well, let alone get crispy! They also create a very sticky surface on the potatoes which makes them clump together.
If you used hot water (or even room temperature water), it would help “activate” the starch.
Can You Make Steven Universe Potato Bites In The Oven?
To make these Steven Universe Potato Bites in an oven, you can start by preheating the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Then, line a roasting pan with non-stick baking paper. Prepare the potatoes as you usually would and season them well.
Spread them out on a baking tray and bake them for 15 minutes. Flip them over and continue baking them for another 15 minutes. Finally, increase the temperature to 425ºF (220ºC) and bake the bites until they become crisp.
Are Steven Universe Fries And Bites The Same?
Fries and Bites are not the same things. Mr. Fryman makes them for free using off-cut pieces from other dishes. The bites (Fry Bits) are not officially sold at the restaurant.
Fries on the other hand is a typical dish on the menu of Beach Citywalk Fries. They have a completely different shape to the Fry Bits.
Do You Have To Boil Your Fry Bits Before Deep-Frying Them?
This technique is called “twice-cooking”. While it does give you incredibly soft and crispy potatoes, it is a lengthy process and not necessary for how I make my Steven Universe potato fry bites.
How Do You Serve Steven Universe Potato Bits?
You should serve these crispy bits in brown paper bags. There aren’t any sauces that go with it or additional garnishes. But, that doesn’t mean you cannot make them your own. If there is a sauce you like, add it if you want to!
More Delicious Snack Recipes
Steven Universe Potato Bites
- 8 large potatoes, washed
- Large bowl of ice water
- 2 tbsp fine salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp fine salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp fine pepper, or to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder, or to taste
- To make this recipe, you will first need to prepare your potatoes. Peel them and slice the potatoes into thin pieces.
- Then, you can slice each round into half, then diagonal pieces. Essentially, each large thin disc can be chopped into 6 to 8 blocks.
- Place all of the sliced potato bites into a large mixing bowl filled with salted ice water. Allow the potato bits to soak for roughly 30 minutes so the starch can be properly removed.
- Once the fry bits have soaked, remove them from the water. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Preheat your frying oil to 360ºF (180ºC). Then, add your dry potato bits to the oil and allow them to fry until they become golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Make sure that they are fully cooked before removing them!
- If your potato bites are completely cooked, remove them from the oil and drain them on a kitchen towel.
- Add them to a large mixing bowl, add the spices, and give the ingredients a couple of tosses together.
Leave a Reply