I’ve been making these grilled shrimp skewers for years and they never fail to please – the sweet, succulent shrimp combined with delicious marinade with tangy herbs and spices make them an irresistible dish!
So, fire up your grill and get ready to enjoy this tasty recipe – it’s sure to be one of your new summertime favorites!
Why I Love this Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe
1. Perfect balance of flavor. The shrimp marinade here is what seals the deal – it has just the right amount of sweetness and tanginess to give this dish its unique flavor. I use a combination of herbs and spices that bring out the sweetness of the shrimp and add a nice kick.
2. Quick and easy to make. This recipe is incredibly simple, requiring only a few ingredients – it’s perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekend grilling.
3. A crowd pleaser. When I make these shrimp skewers, I usually prepare a few extra to accommodate the hungry mouths of friends and family. Everyone always loves them!
4. Healthy and flavorful. Not only are these shrimp skewers delicious, but they’re also incredibly good for you! Packed with protein and healthy fats, this dish is sure to become one of your go-to recipes.
5. Fun and versatile. I love how versatile this recipe is. You can switch up the flavors to create your own unique variations. I can serve these grilled shrimp kabobs as an appetizer or main course, or even as part of a beach-style meal.
5. Perfect for any occasion. From summer backyard gatherings to romantic picnic dinners, these grilled shrimp on skewers, are sure to please everyone in attendance! So don’t wait – whip up a batch today and enjoy the delicious flavors of this classic dish!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Shrimps: The most important ingredient in this recipe is, of course, the shrimp! You’ll want to make sure that you get fresh shrimp for this dish, as frozen shrimp will not taste as good. If you can’t find fresh raw shrimp, you can always use frozen, but we recommend thawing them first.
- Salt: Use some salt to season the shrimp before cooking. This will help to bring out their flavor.
- Garlic powder: Add some garlic powder to the shrimp marinate for an extra boost of flavor. Of course, you can also use fresh garlic.
- Mixed herbs: I like to use a mix of thyme, basil, and oregano in this great recipe, but you can use any herbs that you like. If possible, use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs for the best flavor.
- Chili: This is optional, but I like to add a little bit of chili powder to the marinade for a bit of heat.
- Lime juice: The acidity in the lime juice will help to tenderize the shrimp and gives you that little Vitamin C boost. You can also add some lemon juice or use it as a substitute.
- Olive oil: This will be used to coat the shrimp before cooking. I suggest using a good quality extra virgin olive oil to give the dish an extra punch of flavor. You can also substitute vegetable or canola oil if you prefer.
- Tomato: Add some cherry tomatoes to the kabobs for some color and sweetness.
- Zucchini: Lastly, I like to add some zucchini stripes to the skewers. This is optional, but it’s a great way to get your vegetables in!
What’s the Best Skewer to Use?
When grilling shrimp kabobs, the best skewer to use is metal. Wood skewers can burn easily, while metal ones will up better and won’t burn open flame. Plus, metal skewers can be reused over and over again!
But if you can only find wooden or bamboo skewers, don’t worry! You can wrap a strip of foil around each skewer to protect it from the open flame. Or even use them as is just like what I did in this recipe.
What is the best way to put shrimp on a skewer?
When it comes to putting your shrimp on the skewer, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Make sure the shrimp is fresh and completely thawed before cooking and that they’re dry as this will help them cook evenly.
For best results, try threading 2 or 3 shrimps per skewer, alternating with vegetables. This ensures that every bite has a nice balance of flavors.
How To Make Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to get started on this Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe!
First, season your raw shrimp with salt, garlic powder, mixed herbs, chili, lime juice, and olive oil. Mix it well together in a large bowl and thread the shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini onto skewers.
If you are using wooden skewers or bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking. Alternatively, you can also use metal skewers.
Next, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Then grill shrimp skewers for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until they are cooked through.
Finally, remove the shrimp kabobs from the grill and enjoy! I like to serve mine with a side of rice and a salad then garnish them with fresh parsley and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
This recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a healthy alternative to traditional grilled shrimp or you’re just in the mood for something delicious
If you’ve never grilled shrimp before, don’t worry! I’m here to help. Here are a few tips to make sure that your shrimp come out perfectly every time:
Tip 1: Use Jumbo Shrimp
I suggest using jumbo shrimp for this recipe. These large shrimp are the perfect size for grilled shrimp skewers and they cook evenly.
Tip 2: Preheat your grill
No matter if you’re using a grill pan or an outdoor grill, be sure to preheat it before cooking your shrimp.
Tip 3: Don’t overcook
Shrimps are very easy to overcook. Grill them for four to five minutes on each side and they will be perfect. If you cook them any longer, they will become tough and rubbery.
Tip 4: Let them rest
Once you remove the grilled shrimp from the grill, let them rest for around 3 minutes before serving. This will help to keep them juicy and delicious. Add some lemon juice or your favorite seasoning and enjoy!
Grilled Shrimp Skewers Variations
Chimichurri: If you want to add a little Latin flavor to your shrimp recipe you can marinate your shrimp in chimichurri seasoning instead of the herbs and spices listed above.
Coconut: For a tropical twist, try marinating your shrimp in coconut milk before grilling.
Pineapple: Add some grilled pineapple to your skewers for a sweet and juicy addition.
Teriyaki: Marinate the shrimp in a teriyaki sauce for a flavorful twist. You can also add sesame seeds for an extra nutty taste.
Curry: Add some curry powder to your marinade for a spicy kick. For a more robust taste, try adding coriander and cumin to the mix.
There are so many delicious ways to make this shrimp kabob recipe! Get creative and try out different variations. We guarantee that you’ll love them all!
How To Use An Air Fryer For Grilled Shrimps
If you don’t have a grill or it’s too cold to grill outside, don’t worry! You can still make this quick and easy shrimp recipe using an air fryer.
Preheat to medium-high heat.
Place the shrimp in the basket of your air fryer and cook for four to five minutes, or until they are cooked through.
Take them out and serve immediately.
Rice: I like to serve my Grilled Shrimp Skewers with a side of rice.
Salad: A simple green salad goes great with this recipe.
Vegetables: Grilled vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to this dish. Try grilling some zucchini, eggplant, or peppers to add to your skewers.
Fruit: As we mentioned above, grilled pineapple is a great addition to this recipe. You can also try grilled mango, peaches, or apples.
Salsa: If you want to try one of my absolute favorite combinations, check out Anne’s delicious Mango Habanero Salsa!
No matter how you serve it, we know that you’ll love this Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe! So what are you waiting for? Get started on your skewers today!
When shopping for the best shrimp, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. First, you’ll want to make sure that you purchase fresh shrimp. Fresh shrimp will have a pinkish color and a slightly salty smell. If they smell fishy or ammonia-like, they are not fresh and you should not purchase them.
Second, you’ll want to make sure that you purchase shrimp that have been peeled and deveined. This will save you time when preparing your recipe. You can find peeled and deveined shrimp in the seafood section of most grocery stores.
Finally, when purchasing shrimp, be sure to buy them in bulk. Shrimp are very inexpensive and they freeze well. I like to buy them in bulk and then freeze them so that I have them on hand for recipes like this one.
I hope these tips help you when shopping for shrimp! Now, let’s get started on our Grilled Shrimp Skewers Recipe.
For normal-sized shrimp, it usually takes about 3 minutes to cook them thoroughly. For large shrimp or jumbo, it may take up to 5 minutes. You will know the shrimp are done when their flesh has turned a pinkish color and they are slightly firm to the touch.
Yes, you can! If you’re using frozen shrimp, be sure to thaw them completely before marinating. I like to place them in a colander and run cold water over them until they are thawed.
I recommend marinating the shrimp for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours, but no longer than 4 hours.
Leftover grilled shrimp will last in the refrigerator for up to three days. Place the shrimp in an airtight container or zip-lock bag for easy storage. When you’re ready to eat them, simply reheat them on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed through.
Whether you’re looking for a main course or an appetizer for your next bbq, these Grilled Shrimp Skewers are sure to please. I hope that you enjoy this recipe and that it becomes a go-to in your kitchen!
As always, thank you for following along with me on my cooking adventures. Thank you for reading and happy grilling!
More Grilling recipes
GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS
- 1 pound Shrimp
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Mixed herbs
- ½ tsp Chili
- ½ Lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 10 Curry tomatos
- 1 Zucchini
- First, wash and thoroughly dry with a paper towel the shrimp. Then add salt, pepper, herbs, chili, olive oil, and lemon and mix them well together.
- Then take the washed zucchini and simply slide the peeler from the top to the bottom. Keep the skin on the zucchini.
- Thread the marinated shrimps, washed cherry tomatoes, and zucchini on 12 large metal or wooden skewers.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the preheated grill rack. Cook skewers for about 3 minutes on each side turning once.
- Serve it hot!