Today, we will be making exceptionally flavorful and refreshing tostones with fried shrimp. The elements are easy to make and don’t take up a lot of time. And, they are even relatively flexible in the flavor you add and the cooking techniques you use.
If you’re looking for a flavorful and unique appetizer or main dish, try tostones with fried shrimp. So, read on to learn exactly what this dish is and how you can make it from scratch.
What Are Tostones?
Tostones are crispy, twice-fried plantains that are popular in Latin American cuisine. They’re typically served with a dipping sauce, but in this recipe, they’re topped with succulent shrimp that has been seasoned with a homemade Latin spice blend.
This dish is perfect for entertaining because it can be made ahead of time and reheated just before serving. It’s also great for a weeknight meal because it comes together relatively quickly. Serve tostones with fried shrimp as an appetizer or main dish, and enjoy the flavor combination of crispy plantains, succulent shrimp, and fresh salsa.
The plantains are first cooked in hot oil. Then, they are flattened before being fried again. Traditionally they are fried in hot vegetable oil. However, today, many people have started using an air fryer instead.
Tostones can be used in many different ways. Usually, people eat them like potato crisps or French fries. But, you can also incorporate them into many dishes. For example, they can be crunchy elements in a salad or make a crisp topping for baked casseroles.
Today, I will be using my tostones as a serving vessel for delicious avocado salsa and herb-fried shrimp.
What Do You Need To Make Tostones With Fried Shrimp?
To start, we will be making avocado salsa. An avocado salsa differs from guacamole in that it contains tomatoes and is a lot chunkier in texture. My avocado salsa is easy to make and packed with well-balanced sweet, salty, and creamy flavors.
Next, we are making the tostones. There aren’t too many variations for this element. Tostones are simple in concept. So, the only place you can change the recipe is how you cut them and how you fry them.
And finally, I will top each stack with some pan-fried shrimp in a herb dressing. This element is easy to make especially if you are using pre-cleaned and prepped shrimp.
It is a simple recipe that has a bunch of refreshing ingredients and flavors.
This is an extremely filling dish that goes great with a refreshing beverage like Agua De Pepino Y Limon or Canteloupe Melon Juice.
Tips And Tricks For This Tostones With Fried Shrimp Recipe
- You can add some chili to the avocado salsa if you’d like. Fresh green chilis will work the best with this recipe.
- If you worry that your plantains might discolor after you peel them, drizzle them with a little bit of fresh lemon juice.
- However, generally, plantains don’t contain a lot of moisture, so they won’t brown as quickly as regular bananas.
- You can platten the fried plantains using a tortilla press or a rolling pin. Or, you can press the plantain between two heavy books or chopping boards.
Are tostones Cuban or Puerto Rican?
Tostones are a Latin American and Caribbean treat. There isn’t any one country that can claim these as their own. In fact, there are even similar recipes found in African cuisines too. Where ever you can find plantains, the region is bound to have some fried-version of it.
Are tostones with fried shrimp healthy?
Tostones are relatively healthy. However, it is the amount of frying oil that makes them high in fat and calories. So, many people choose to air-fry their plantains instead of deep-frying them in oil.
Can you make tostones with unripe bananas?
You can definitely replace the plantains with unripe green bananas. However, the size of the bananas won’t be the same. Then, the flavor of bananas also tends to be sweeter. It will still pair nicely with the rest of my recipe, but it won’t be as authentic.
Can you make tostones in an air fryer?
As I have mentioned above, a lot of people have started making tostones in the air fryer to reduce the amount of oil in the recipe. Air fry these plantains at 360ºF (180ºC) for 5-8 minutes.
More Delicious Appetizer
Tostones With Fried Shrimp Recipe – Refreshing Flavorful Snacks
For the avocado salsa
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- 1 small lemon
- Fine salt, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 small tomatoes, finely diced
- Handful of fresh cilantro, shredded
For the tostones
- 3 large unripe plantains
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the fried shrimp
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Fine salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
Make the avocado salsa
- Once peeled, slice each plantain in half and then down the middle. Set them aside for later use.
- Next, remove the seed from the avocados and peel them. Place the avocado flesh inside a mixing bowl. Squeeze some lemon juice over it and mash it with a fork.
- Season the mashed avocado with some salt to taste and minced garlic.
- Add the finely diced onions and mix them in well. And finally, fold in the finely diced tomatoes and fresh shredded cilantro. Set the mixture aside.
Make the fried plantains
- To start, prepare your plantains. Peel off the hard skin. You can use a knife to help you slice through it.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the plantains, sliced side down in the preheated oil.
- Fry the plantains for 5-8 minutes per side or until they become golden brown.
- Next, flatten each fried plantain quarter with a tortilla press. Repeat this process with all of the fried slices.
- Then, add the flatted sliced back into a hot pan. Fry them for a second time for roughly 5 minutes per side.
- Drain the twice-fried plantains on some paper towels and set them aside.
Fry the shrimp
- Make sure that your shrimp is completely clean and rinsed very well. Pat them dry before basting them in the herb and garlic sauce.
- Next, make the herb sauce by combining the olive oil, shredded parsley, garlic, and seasoning ingredients.
- Toss the shrimp in the herb dressing and make sure that they are all covered well.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan to medium heat. Then, add the herb shrimp and cook them for roughly 1-2 minutes per side, depending on the size.
Assemble your tostones with fried shrimp
- To assemble this dish, start by placing your twice-fried plantains on a serving board.
- Then, top each slice with a generous amount of avocado salsa. Make sure that it covers the entire plantain surface.
- Finally, top each with a couple of herb-fried shrimp.
- Serve these treats immediately with your favorite accompaniment.
Leave a Reply