Looking for the perfect recipe for Avocado Toast? No problem, I’ll give you two in one! Avocado toast is a nutritious and simple breakfast or snack for any time. Make it sweet or savory by adding your favorite toppings! My favorite sweet combo is strawberries and honey and my favorite savory is cucumber and salmon but the best part about this dish is you can top it with whatever you like! Be sure to give this quick dish a try.
What is Avocado Toast?
Simply put, it’s toast with mashed avocado on it. You can top it with some salt, pepper, and olive oil and call it a day, but it’s also a fun and easy opportunity to get a little creative in the kitchen. Avocados are creamy and flavorful on their own once ripe but are a great vessel for bringing out other flavors as well. Add a little crunch with some cucumbers or nuts, add your favorite protein like salmon or chicken or bring in a little sweetness with some fruit and honey.
How to make Avocado Toast with Strawberries and Salmon
My favorite toppings for avocado toast are either strawberries and honey or cucumbers and salmon. I love making a mix of both to get in my savory dish, while still satisfying my sweet tooth. You might think, why should I make both? Well, this dish is so simple and will be done in a matter of minutes, so why not easily make 2 delicious dishes in the time you could have one! Here’s how to make my favorite avocado toast.
Toast 2 pieces of your favorite bread. I usually use hearty and crusty Italian bread. It holds the toppings well and adds a nice crunch. While toasting, mash an avocado in a bowl. Once toasted, spread the avocado over the bread.
Tip: be sure to use ripe avocados!
Top one slice with diced cucumber, salmon and fresh herbs and the other with sliced strawberries and honey. It’s as simple as that!
Tip: don’t forget the salt! We should all view salt as a flavor enhancer instead of a seasoning. Salt really brings out the flavor in the avocado here.
Other topping ideas
Besides those mentioned above, feel free to top with your favorites!
- Red pepper flakes – add a little kick of spice to your avocado toast. This could be straight onto the avocado or mixed with other toppings.
- Eggs – fried, scrambled, over easy… eggs pair so well with avocado toast to make the perfect breakfast.
- Pickled veggies – bring a little zing to your avocado toast with some fresh vegetables like pickled red onion or radishes.
- Sliced cherry tomatoes – bright and sweet, ripe cherry tomatoes can add a burst of flavor to your avocado toast. Drizzling with a little balsamic really brings this dish together.
Probably the most important thing for avocado toast is making sure you are using a ripe avocado. A ripe avocado feels soft to the touch but should not feel mushy. Once ripe, the skin of the avocado is typically darker. Ripe avocados have great flavor and will be much easier to mash to spread on your bread.
More Breakfast recipes
Recipe for Avocado Toast
- 3 avocados
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5-6 strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 slices smoked salmon
- 2 large pieces Italian bread, toasted
- fresh herbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mush up one of the avocadoes with lemon juice. Thinly slice the other two avocadoes.
- On half of the toast,spread the mushed avocado. Top it with thinly sliced strawberries.
- Place the sliced avocadoonto the other half of the toast and top with cucumber and salmon.
- To finish, drizzle honeyover the side with strawberries and herbs over the side with salmon.