Is there anything better than a truly great slice of cheesecake? Creamy smooth vanilla middle, crunchy buttery sugary base, and a sharp tangy tropical puree on top. There’s nothing like it on a nice hot summer day.
I love the contrast that the passion fruit tang brings to the gentle cream cheese filling in this recipe. It tastes so fresh and light.
PASSION FRUIT CHEESECAKE
FOR THE CAKE BASE:
- 1 ¾ cups Graham crackers crumbs
- 2 tablespoons White sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter melted
FOR THE CAKE BATTER:
- 2 poundss Cream cheese
- 1 ⅓ cup Granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 4 Eggs
- ⅔ cup Sour cream
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Flour
FOR THE PASSION FRUIT TOPPING:
- 1 can Sweetened condensed milk
- 4 Egg yolks
- ½ cup Passion fruit puree
- Preheat the oven to 325°F / 160°C.
- Combine the graham crackers, crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mix well then pour the mix into a greased 9” round spring form cake pan.
- Press the graham cracker crumb crust into the bottom of the pan, compacting it well.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then remove from the oven to cool.
- Place the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat together with the 1 ⅓ cup white sugar until creamy.
- Add the salt, vanilla extract, eggs, sour cream and heavy cream and mix together well, making sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Sift the flour over the top and mix again.
- Pour the batter into the pan with the baked crust and then wrap the edges of the pan in foil and place the pan in a water bath.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, adding more water to the water bath as needed.
- The cheesecake may not look completely done but it will bake more with the passion fruit topping. Let the cheesecake cool.
PASSION FRUIT TOPPING
- Combine the condensed milk, egg yolks, and passion fruit puree.
- Pour the passion fruit mix over the cooled cheesecake and then return the cheesecake to the oven to bake for another 20 minutes.
- The cheesecake should look set and not wet.
- Let the cheesecake cool completely before slicing and serving!