If you are looking for a creative and delicious Caribbean dish, you absolutely have to try this Cassava Lasagne Recipe with Mozzarella Cheese, Eggplant, and Beef. It only takes about one hour to prepare and is the perfect highlight for your next special occasion.
CARIBBEAN CASSAVA LASAGNE
- 2 ½ pounds Cassava
- 2 Carrots
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- ½ Eggplant
- 12 ounces Beef
- 1 Large onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Small chili
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Beef stock
- 1 cup Tomato sauce + ½ cup extra for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F / 180°C.
- Peal the Cassava and carrots and cut them into slices.
- Then add them in the boiling water, add vegetable stock, herbs or any desired spice and cook until soft so that you can easily mush them with a potato masher.
- Cut off the ends of the eggplant, then slice lengthwise but not too thick. If you like the eggplant very soft then fry it for about 3 to 5 mins over medium heat on each side (I prefer them al dente). Then heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat, add the onion, garlic and chilli and let it fry for about 3 minutes. Add the beef and cook it for 5 more minutes, add salt, pepper, beef stock and let it cook for 10 minutes before adding the tomato sauce.
- Remove from the heat and set aside. Assemble the lasagne. In a 9×13-inch (23×33-cm) baking dish, start with the mushed cassava and cover the bottom of the dish with the eggplant, meat and cheese. Repeat this step until you have 2-3 layers.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the cheese is fully melted. Turn the broiler on high and broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese on top is browned and bubbly.
- Remove the lasagne from the oven and let it rest for 20-25 minutes before serving. Serve garnished with fresh basil.