Today I will show you how I make my authentic sopa de fideo con papas recipe. It’s a Mexican potato and noodle soup with a rich yet simplistic tomato soup base.
This recipe is very easy to make, extremely quick, and surprisingly affordable. As long as you can find fideo (which can be challenging), it’s a budget-friendly meal that your entire family will enjoy!
What Is Sopa De Fideo Con Papas?
The term “sopa de fideo con papas” directly translates to “noodle soup with potatoes,” which honestly couldn’t describe it any better!
This is one of Mexico’s most famous soups that is made with potatoes and a special kind of noodle called fideo. These ingredients, along with some wonderful aromatics, are cooked in a tomato-based sauce.
It’s an absolutely delicious, rich, flavorful, and texture-packed soup that will make you feel all warm inside.
You can serve this soup as-is. But, if you are feeling like making an entire meal out of it, serve it with my Homemade Garlic Bread. When pairing these two dishes together, I recommend going a little lighter on the garlic in the bread recipe.
There are a ton of variations of sopa de fideo. But today’s recipe is completely free of any meat and animal products. So, depending on how strict your diet is, you could even consider it to be vegan or vegetarian.
Some vegans don’t consider sugar suitable for their diet because some manufacturers process sugar with bonemeal (and more often than not, it’s not specified).
Nevertheless, let’s get to what exactly goes into a sopa de fideo con papas recipe and how to make it.
What You Will Need To Make This Sopa De Fideo Con Papas Recipe
The hardest ingredient to find for this recipe is hands down the fideo. It is a unique Mexican noodle that closely resembles thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta.
Today, most fideo noodles are made from durum wheat. As I’ve mentioned, they are thin but also very short and slightly curved. Each piece measures about 1 to 2-inches (2.5-5 cm).
Now, you can definitely try finding fideo noodles at your local Italian grocer or even online. However, if you cannot find any, you can make your own.
You can make it from homemade pasta or simple broken regular spaghetti (to make smaller pieces). It would be even better if you could find thin spaghetti or use angel hair pasta.
Next up for my recipe, I decided to keep it simple. But, the flavors I do incorporate blend together seamlessly to create a rich savory soup.
I only use potatoes, tomato sauce, a couple of spices and aromatics, and vegetable broth. That’s it! All of these ingredients are very affordable and very easy to find.
Tips And Tricks For This Traditional Sopa De Fideo Con Papas Recipe
- Many people don’t cook their tomato soup base before adding the noodles and potatoes. I love first sauteing my onions, garlic, and spices. It helps release their aromas better to give the dish an overall more savory flavor. It is an essential secret that helps make this recipe so great!
- If you don’t pre-toast your fideo noodles, they will become extremely sticky in the soup. Toasting them is a technique that helps you release the nutty flavors of the noodles. But, it also creates a barrier that prevents them from becoming sticky. So, do not skip this step, even if you use an alternative pasta.
- The size of your potato cubes will ultimately determine how long the sopa de fideo con papa will cook.
- If you want to make this soup meaty (sopa de fideo con papas y carne), you should use chuck. Pan-fry the meat first before adding it to the soup base. You should also simmer the meat in the tomato soup base for 15-20 minutes before adding the potatoes.
What is sopa de conchita con papas?
This is another Mexican soup that is extremely similar to the one we are making today. You can even argue that the only difference between the two is the shape of the pasta used. This pasta soup uses pasta shells instead of fine noodles.
Are fideo and vermicelli the same thing?
These two products are extremely similar in appearance and the ingredients used to make them. However, fideo noodles are much shorter than Italian vermicelli noodles. And they are toasted before being incorporated into their dishes. It helps cook them while releasing their flavor.
How long can I keep sopa de fideo in the fridge?
It depends on what ingredients the fideo soup contains. Most of the recipes will last between 3-4 days. However, they are best the next day. If your soup contains highly perishable ingredients (like meat), I would definitely recommend eating it within a day or two only.
More Delicious Soups
Sopa De Fideo Con Papas – An Easy Mexican Potato Noodle Soup
- 2 large potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces fideo noodles (or broken spaghetti)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- To begin your sopa de fideo con papas recipe, start by peeling and cubing the potatoes. You can cut them into roughly 1/2 to 3/4-inch pieces. Place them into a bowl of ice water when you are finished. Set the potatoes aside.
- Next, heat some olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and cumin. Fry them for another minute while stirring them into the onions.
- Add the tomato sauce and 2 cups of broth. Give the ingredients a good stir and make sure they are all blended well. Only cook this mixture for a minute or two. The goal is only to merge the flavors. Set this mixture aside.
- Next up, heat some olive oil in a new clean pot. Then, add the fideo noodles and toast them for about 5 minutes. They should become golden brown then they are ready.
- Add the soup base to the noodle pot, followed by the remaining 6 cups of vegetable broth. You can also add the drained potato cubes.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes. Test whether or not the potatoes are fork tender before removing them from the heat.
- Once cooked, serve the soup immediately with some fresh cilantro.