Sam and Cat meatballs are an amazing dish to make for almost any occasion. The kids will love them, but they also make the perfect date night treat! They are easy, extremely flavorful, and probably best of all, fully customizable.
How Do You Make Sam And Cat Meatballs?
Making Sam and Cat meatballs are one of the easiest things to do. The recipe and concept are pretty simple actually. What makes it special though is how it is served. And naturally, this requires a specific ratio of meatball to tomato sauce.
These meatballs from Sam and Cat are made from ground beef only. In addition, there is a couple of tasty spices and of course, breadcrumbs. The egg helps bind everything together so that you can shape and fry your meatballs.
Then, I developed a super simple meatball sauce recipe. It is easily adjustable and relatively quick to make. It has a rich tomato-like flavor, but will still allow your umami beef flavors to shine through.
Once you’ve finished cooking the meatballs inside its sauce, you can serve them up with toothpicks or cocktail umbrellas.
Variations For This Recipe
This recipe is completely customizable. If you want to substitute the ground beef with an alternative, we recommend ground pork. You can also go for ground turkey or chicken, but pork really is the best option.
And you can also go the vegetarian route. You can search the internet for loads of veggie-meatball substitutes that are made with cauliflower, lentils, or grains.
Expert Tips And Tricks For Making Sam And Cat Meatballs Recipe
- Do not attempt to mix the ingredients together with a spoon. As you mix the ingredients together, you also have to break up the ground beef. If you use your hands, you will achieve the best results. But remember, always wear gloves to protect the meat from bacteria.
- If you do end up using other spices, add them along with the salt and pepper. I would use ground spices only. There is nothing worse than biting into a whole clove or peppercorn!
- Always use medium-coarse breadcrumbs. If the breadcrumbs are too fine, they won’t bind the ingredients together well. But, if they are too coarse they will create a strange texture.
- To make them in the oven, just transfer them (along with the tomato meatball sauce) into a large baking dish once they have been seared in the hot pan. Then, bake them at 360ºF (180ºC) for 20-25 minutes.
- If you have the time, make some extra meatball sauce. Any leftovers you can freeze for up to 6 months. This way, you can easily thaw it and use it for your next meatball dinner.
What is the secret to making the perfect meatballs?
Most important for me, is choosing good quality ground meat. I also only use lean ground beef because it won’t make oily meatballs. Furthermore, I always avoid overcooking them.
What can you serve with this Sam and Cat meatballs recipe?
These Sam and Cat meatballs are a fantastic snack or main course dish. They can be served with any accompaniment you can think of! I personally like serving it with my Steven Universe potato bites or Grilled Potatoes.
In which episode do Sam and Cat make meatballs?
These meatballs became popular amongst fans after the “Mad About Shoe” episode aired. Sam accidentally ate all of the meatballs Cat prepared for the Throbbing Moon Party. After Cat suggested making wieners instead, Sam begged her to make more meatballs! In the end, Nona saved the day when making a bunch of these meatball bites.
Can you put frozen meatballs into the sauce to cook?
If you do end up freezing some seared meatballs (half-cooked), then you can still thaw them later and cook them into the sauce. They will likely take a little longer to fully cook so just monitor them closely.
More TV-Inspired Recipes
Delicious Sam And Cat Meatballs Recipe
For the meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- Fine salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/5 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the meatball sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Fine salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make the meatballs
- To make the meatballs, start by adding your ground beef to a large mixing bowl. Break apart any large pieces to make the mixture easier to work with. Then, add the remaining ingredients for the meatballs to the beef.
- Then, put on some food-safe gloves so that you can work the meatball mixture with your hands. "Knead" the ingredients together until you have a completely uniform mixture.
- Next, you can start rolling your mixture into equally-sized meatballs. Add a little bit of cooking spray or oil to your gloves to help prevent the meat from sticking.
- Once your meatballs are rolled, allow them to chill in the fridge if they are too soft. This will help them firm up and cook beautifully.
- Then, add some oil to a pan and place it over medium-high heat. Then, working in small batches, fry the meatballs until they are browned on all sides.
- Remove them from the oil and drain them on pieces of paper towel.
Make the meatball tomato sauce
- To make the meatball sauce, first, add the oil and diced onions to a frying pan. Over medium heat, saute the onions until they become translucent, about 3 minutes. Then, add the garlic and tomato paste. Fry them for another minute while stirring and mix in all other ingredients.
- Then, bring the tomato mixture to a boil. Once it starts boiling rapidly, reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 15-20 minutes. The sauce should start to thicken and become less watery.
- Before adding your meatballs, taste the sauce to ensure you are happy with the flavor.
Assembling your Sam and Cat meatball bites
- To finish off your Sam and Cat meatballs, place the browned meatballs into the meatball tomato sauce. Then, allow the meatballs to cook for 10 minutes or so.
- Next, assemble your meatball dish. Insert a toothpick or cocktail umbrella into each meatball and place it into a serving dish. Pour over any leftover sauce and serve immediately!
Leave a Reply