Sloppy waffles are a deliciously saucy savory dish that your whole family will enjoy. This fun recipe is easy to make and even the kids will enjoy lending a hand! You can make it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Whichever you choose, make sure to let me know how you best enjoy your sloppy waffles!
What Are Sloppy Waffles?
The Sam And Cat show is the inspiration behind my sloppy waffles recipe. Cat suggested merging traditional Sloppy Joe’s with waffles. It instantly became an internet hit!
Now, my recipe today doesn’t change much regarding the concept. But, I put my own unique flavor twist on these savory waffles. So, read on to find out exactly how I make Sam and Cat sloppy waffles.
Toppings For Sloppy Waffles
In my opinion, grated cheese is a must-add topping for sloppy waffles. You can choose whichever cheese you’d like. I love simpler options like Gouda or Cheddar.
However, you can also add crumbed feta cheese, Parmesan shavings, and for a refreshing option, a dollop of cream cheese.
Other great topping additions include chopped herbs. Again, there are many you can choose from, but soft herbs work best. Try to choose an option with a fresh flavor. For me, this is parsley, coriander, chives, or basil.
You can also serve these sloppy waffles with some of my healthy crispy air-fried eggplant slices.
Are There Any Filling Variations For Sloppy Waffles?
Even though the original version is already decadently tasty, you can always alter the recipe to your liking.
Arguably the biggest change you can make is to use some other type of ground meat, like pork or lamb. When buying this product, always go for the lean option. It is less fatty and won’t give you that oily mouthfeel. Furthermore, it is healthier. To make a meat-free option, you can also use cooked brown lentils.
You can also add more chopped vegetables to the mixture along with the onions. Depending on what you add, you may need to cook them for longer.
And finally, for those feeling experimental, add some dried fruit or chopped nuts. Trust me, it adds a delicious flavor and crunchy texture.
How Do You Prevent Soggy Waffles?
The key to preventing waffles from becoming soggy is to keep them away from humidity and moisture. So, once they have been cooked and completely cooled, store them inside an airtight container. Only once you are ready to serve them, remove and reheat them.
How Do You Prevent Waffles From Sticking?
The best way to prevent waffles from sticking to your waffle iron is to use a non-stick cooking or baking spray. You can also brush it with butter, but that will likely burn due to the high heat.
Another trick to try is to leave the waffle in until it has completely cooked on one side. If you prematurely lift the cover, the waffle will break and stick. So, make sure to read the instructions on the iron before attempting to cook one.
How Should You Store Soggy Waffles?
The two elements of meaty soggy waffles, the filling, and the waffles should be stored separately. Otherwise, the juices from the topping will make the waffle soggy.
The waffles can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or bag. And, the topping can be stored inside the fridge, also in an airtight stain-free container.
How Can You Reheat Soggy Waffles?
For the best results, reheat the fresh homemade waffles and meaty sloppy toppings separately.
The waffles reheat best in a preheated oven for roughly 8-10 minutes. The meat topping heats best in a pan or inside a microwave.
Once both parts are reheated, you can assemble and garnish them with the topping of your choice.
How TV -Inspired Recipes
Sloppy Waffles Super Easy And Saucy Recipe – Make In Under An Hour
For The Waffles
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
For The Sloppy Beef
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 pound beef, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Grated cheese, for garnish
- To prepare the waffles, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk until you have a uniform mixture.
- Next, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and keep mixing until you have a completely smooth and lump-free waffle batter.
- Heat the waffles iron and grease it with some non-stick cooking spray. Add waffle batter to the heated iron and cook it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once all your waffles are made, set them aside.
- Next, to make the saucy sloppy beef recipe, heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated, add in your beef and cook it for roughly 8 minutes or until it starts browning. Keep breaking it apart with your wooden spoon to prevent large chunks of meat.
- Once browned, add your onion and spices to the mix. Give them a good stir so they can all evenly incorporate. Then, allow them to cook for 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
- Next, stir in the tomato sauce with sugar and the Worcestershire sauce. Lower your heat and allow the meaty mixture to cook for 10 minutes. The sauce should become thicker.
- To assemble your sloppy waffles, place the waffles on plates. Then, top them with some juicy beef. Make sure to get some sauce over it too! Finally, top each with some freshly grated cheese.
- All that’s left to do is to serve it with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Leave a Reply