In today’s fun article, we will be recreating the world-famous SpongeBob burger, also knowns as the Krabby Patty! The exact recipe has been unknown for decades, until now!
But remember, with great power comes great responsibility. So, don’t let Plankton get a hold of it!
What Is The Secret Formula Of The SpongeBob Burger (Krabby Patty)?
This is a topic that is widely debated for a good reason. After 13 seasons of unanswered questions, the fans took it upon themselves to recreate this patty so that it could be shared with the world.
So, here is what we know! First, the Krabby Patty burger is served in a soft sesame seed hamburger bun.
The juicy cooked patty is placed directly onto the bottom bun, followed by some fresh crisp lettuce. You can then top them with a slice of good old American cheese, onions rings, and sliced tomatoes. Then, you add a few condiments and sweet tangy pickles.
Sauces Needed For Making Krabby Patties
When it comes to the sauces, there are 3 known and 1 unidentified sauce. These are ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. The missing sauce is the secret sauce. Unfortunately, no one has any clue as to what sauce this may be.
A Closer Look At The Krabby Patty
Now, you may have noticed that I didn’t talk much about the type of patty you need. Well, as with the secret sauce, no one knows exactly what the world-famous patty is made of!
In the cartoon, it is hinted that the patty contains “a pinch of chum”, flour, and barnacle shavings. So, as you can imagine, that didn’t help me much.
I decided to go off the word of some die-hard fans. Ultimately, you can choose between a beef patty or a crab meat patty. Some even say that it is a meatless veggie patty. Any option is acceptable as the “true” or real SpongeBob burger patty. And who am I to argue?
How To Make SpongeBob Krabby Patty Recipe
Today, we will mainly focus on making a Krabby Patty from scratch. For my recipe, I use imitation crab meat or beef meat in the patty, both are delicious. But, you can have a look at the variations section for other options.
To make the patty mixture, you can start by sauteing the onions and toasting the spices. While they cool down, blend imitation crab or beef into a finer mixture.
Then, combine the cooled spiced onions and blended meat. Make sure that they are mixed well so that the flavors are evenly distributed. Finally, you can just shape some patties and fry them in a hot pan.
There are two reasons why I love making patties from scratch. The first is because I can alter the spices in the recipe to my liking. The second is because I can alter the size of the patties.
How to build the perfect SpongeBob Krabby PattyBurger
The structure of the burger is very important. Start by toasting the buns in the oven for a minute or two. Then, add a generous amount of your secret sauce to both buns.
After that, it is time to add the patty, lettuce, cheese, onion, and tomatoes. I like to place them on one side of the bun so that I can see all the ingredients. Finally, top it off with some more sauce and the top bun. And that’s it!
Now, all you have to do is take a huge bite and enjoy!
Variations And Tips For Making A SpongeBob Burger
- As I have mentioned, using beef patties is also completely fine. To make beef patties from scratch, simply substitute the imitation crab meat in my recipe with ground beef.
- For either option you choose, you can also buy some pre-made and shaped patties. This will save you even more preparation and cooking time. However, I highly recommend making your own Krabby Patties at home.
- Make your patties half an inch larger than the diameter of the burger buns. When you cook them, the meat will shrink. So, to avoid having a meatball on your burger, rather make the patties larger.
- If you still want a seafood SpongeBob burger but don’t like crab meat, you can also make shrimp patties. My recipe is very easy to make and absolutely delicious! And, because I make them in an air-fryer, they are healthy too!
- You can chop the imitation crab meat or ground beef finely using a food processor. It is quick and much easier to use.
Can You Buy A Real Krabby Patty?
As far as I can tell, no. There was a pop-up restaurant called The Rusty Krab in Houston. Unfortunately, they were served with a copyright lawsuit for using the name. So, they had to shut down quickly.
Is SpongeBob Burger Based On Good Burger?
There isn’t any evidence that suggests without a doubt that the Krabby Patty is based on the Good Burger. But, what I will say (with many Reddit users as well) is that the similarities between the two shows are undeniable!
So, it wouldn’t surprise me if the creator of SpongeBob Squarepants does admit to it.
What Is The Secret Ingredient In A Krabby Patty?
The secret recipe is debated a lot. To this day there is no one answer. Some say that it is a veggie burger, some beef, and others crab.
There is evidence to back each statement, but none that can prove their opinion without a doubt.
Can You Freeze Krabby Patties?
My recipe for SpongeBob burger patties freezes very well. After you shape the raw meat mixture into patties, place them into an airtight container. Add a layer of plastic or saran wrap between each raw patty.
Do not freeze cooked patties unless you have to. They won’t last as long and will not come out as good when they are defrosted.
SpongeBob Burger – The Secret Formula For A Krabby Patty!
For The Krabby Patty
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 pound imitation crab meat or ground beef, thawed and finely chopped
- 3/4 cuo breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, beaten
For The SpongeBob Burger
- 2 sesame seed coated burger buns
- American cheese slices
- Onion slices
- Tomato slices
- Pickles, sliced
For The Krabby Patties
- First, preheat the oven to 360ºF (180ºC).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and allow them to saute for 2-3 minutes (or until they become translucent).
- Then, add the dried thyme, give the mixture a good stir, and allow it to cool completely.
- Once the onions have cooled, mix together all of the patty ingredients in a large bowl. You can use your hand if needed, but wear gloves. Otherwise, use a food processor or a wooden spoon.
- Once the patty mixture is made, divide it into two large patties. Then, shape them into flat discs. You can make them large and flat or small and thick.
- To fry the patties, heat some more oil in a medium-high frying pan. Add the patties and allow them to cook for roughly 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once they are all fried, place them in a roasting tray and bake them for another 10 minutes.
Assembling The SpongeBob Burger
- To start, place your cooked Krabby Patty onto the bottom sesame seed bun.
- Then, add the freshly washed and dried lettuce leaves. You can follow with some slices of American cheese, sliced onions, and tomatoes.
- Next, you can add as much sauce as you'd like. This is all to your liking.
- And finally, add your pickle and add the top bun to the burger.
Leave a Reply