This television series has created MANY iconic and absolutely drool-worthy recipes that have shot to fame over the decades. These iCarly spaghetti tacos are no different!
They are very easy to make and don’t take up a ton of time. This fun recipe is also surprisingly healthy! Because you are making the components at home, you don’t have to worry about artificial flavorings, colorings, and preservatives that have been added to your food. You can choose the best quality ingredients to ensure that you know exactly what you are making.
If you already like the sound of these Nickelodeon tacos, you can also check out my Sloppy Waffles recipe.
What Are iCarly Spaghetti Tacos?
The concept of spaghetti tacos is quite simple. Simply put, this dish consists of crispy taco shells that are filled with delicious tomato spaghetti sauce, cooked pasta, and uber savory meatballs. Once assembled, I finish them off with classic grated parmesan cheese.
Now, even though the idea of these spaghetti-filled tacos is not complex, using a bad meatball or pasta sauce recipe could ruin the entire thing!
So, for that exact reason, I decided to create my very own uber tasty spaghetti recipe. But today we will be deconstructing this classic dish.
By making all of the components separately, you can ensure that you develop the best flavor and consistency for each. Then, once assembled, you have a beautifully balanced and perfectly seasoned dish. Not to mention, these iCarly tacos are extremely fun to make!
You can look at the recipe below to learn exactly how to make iCarly spaghetti tacos from scratch.
Tips And Variations For iCarly Spaghetti And Meatballs Tacos
- For the meatballs, I only used ground beef in the recipe. This is simply because I like the flavor it gives. However, you can use ground pork instead, or substitute half of the beef with pork. Whichever you choose, just make sure that you buy lean ground meat. This is by far a healthier choice and one that will make the meatballs less oily.
- A fun way to add more taco flavors to this recipe is by adding some taco seasoning into the meatball mixture. You can even make your own from scratch and store any leftovers in a jar for future use!
- You can also make your own taco shells at home using soft tortillas. To do this, fold the tortilla into a taco shape and bake them in the oven or air fryer for 10-15 minutes at 320ºF (160ºC). You can also use this technique to re-crisp soft taco shells.
- For other topping ideas, I personally also like to add a dollop or two of sour cream, fresh basil leaves, or chopped parsley. For more Mexican-inspired taco toppings, add some chopped chilis, coriander leaves, or crushed taco chips.
- And finally, this iCarly spaghetti tacos recipe is best made and served fresh. If you aren’t planning on serving them immediately, don’t assemble them. You can make the meatballs and sauce in advance, but reheat them right before serving.
What is the easiest way to make spaghetti tacos?
You can make these spaghetti bolognese tacos in even less time if you really want to. All you need to do is buy some frozen or fresh meatballs and a pre-made spaghetti sauce. Then, you can cook your meatballs according to the package instructions, heat your sauce with your cooked spaghetti pasta, and assemble the dish.
While it will shave off a bunch of time and makes the perfect quick weeknight dinner, it won’t nearly be as good as my homemade one.
Can you make meat-free iCarly spaghetti tacos?
Luckily for all my vegetarian readers, these spaghetti tacos from iCarly can also be made with meat-free meatballs. You can make your own from scratch using cauliflower, lentils, or rice, or you just use a ready-made option.
Who created spaghetti tacos on iCarly?
These tacos are also sometimes referred to as Spencer’s spaghetti tacos. Spencer, Carly’s older brother, originally created this masterpiece of a recipe on the episode “iWill Date Freddie”. But, these Nickolodean spaghetti tacos became so popular that they appear in several episodes.
How do you keep iCarly spaghetti tacos from falling apart?
The most important factor is to ensure you have a crisp taco shell. Without it, these spaghetti bolognese tacos will fall apart. Then, also don’t overfill the shells. The filling will fall out much more easily, creating a mess.
And finally, make sure that you don’t add too much sauce to the tacos. The spaghetti sauce will soften the taco shell quickly. This is also why I recommend only assembling the Italian tacos once you are ready to serve them.
Do you have to bake taco shells before using them?
Not necessarily, but by baking the shells you are re-crisping them and helping them develop a better flavor. So, while it isn’t necessary if they are already uber crispy, I do still recommend it. You can place them in the oven while the meatballs are baking.
iCarly Spaghetti Tacos With Easy Secret Sauce Recipe
For the meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The secret sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Assembling the spaghetti tacos
- 1/2 packet of spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions
- 8-10 taco shells
- Parmesan, finely grated
Make your beef meatballs
- Start by making your meatballs first. Combine all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix them together until you have a uniform meatball mixture.
- Then, make perfectly round meatballs using roughly a tablespoon of mixture for each. Place them on a lined baking tray as you finish rolling them.
- Finally, bake your meatballs in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes at 400ºF (200ºC). Once they are finished baking, set them aside.
Make the secret sauce
- Next, move on to making your spaghetti sauce. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan and saute the onions for 3 minutes.
- Once they become translucent, add the garlic, sugar, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes. Then, give the mixture a good stir and allow them to cook over low-medium heat for a minute.
- Lastly, add your canned tomatoes and stir the ingredients well. Bring it to a simmer and allow it to cook for 15 minutes. Finally, season your tomato sauce with salt and pepper.
Assemble your spaghetti tacos
- Now we can move on to assembling your iCarly spaghetti tacos. To start, add your cooked pasta to your spaghetti sauce. Give them a good stir so that the spaghetti noodles are completely coated.
- Then, add some coated spaghetti noodles to the bottom of your taco shell.
- Follow this by adding your tasty roasted meatballs. Top each spaghetti and meatball taco with grated parmesan cheese and serve them immediately!