iCarly fat cakes are shockingly easy to make. I almost couldn’t believe it myself! You make these fluffy sweet treats with gooey cream-filled chocolate cupcakes. Then, you can finish them off with their signature look – a bright pink marshmallow and coconut coating.
And, if you are looking for some other fun desserts to make, go have a look at some of my other recipes. I especially love the Air Fryer Homer Simpson Donuts and the Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bouquet!
What Are These Mouth-Watering iCarly Fat Cakes?
iCarly fat cakes (also referred to as iToe fat cakes) are popular sweet treats that frequently made an appearance on the show. However, they only shot to fame when Sam became obsessed with them – and for a good reason!
These cloudy pink balls are made with delicious cream-filled chocolate cake. Then, they are covered with a gooey marshmallow coating and dusted with pink desiccated coconut.
The cakes themselves are simple in concept, but they take some time to make. However, I highly recommend still trying them. These fat cakes have an incredibly soft gooey texture and chocolatey sweet flavor. They will bring out your inner child!
Elements Needed To Make These Pink Cakes
As I have mentioned, you make these fat cakes with chocolate cake and a cream filling. They are then garnished with a marshmallow coating and colored desiccated coconut. None of these elements are hard to make individually. But they do take some time.
For the chocolate cupcakes, I chose a super easy and basic recipe. The cupcakes won’t come out too moist but also not dry. That is important because very moist cupcakes won’t allow the marshmallow coating to stick to their surface.
Then, we also have an easy cream filling. You make it using marshmallow fluff as the base. But that is only because I wanted to cut down on some unnecessary time. And this filling is a lot more shelf-stable than an actual dairy-based frosting.
Finally, we have the melted marshmallow coating. You have to add simple syrup to the recipe. Otherwise, the marshmallows won’t be workable.
Tips And Tricks For Sam’s Fat Cakes From iCarly
- When making the marshmallow coating, you will need to be patient when melting the marshmallows. But, you cannot overheat the marshmallows because they will start to burn.
- You also have to stir the melting marshmallows a lot. This will ensure that the heat is evenly distributed. It also will prevent the mixture from burning in one area while another doesn’t melt at all. You can make this super easy simple syrup recipe if you don’t want to buy some.
- If you don’t have a silicone mold, don’t worry. I have another easy method you can use. Fill a bowl with the coconut. Then, add a big dollop of marshmallow coating inside it. Push in the cupcake, cover it with more coating, and finally, toss it in coconut. It is a messier method, but it works!
What Are iToe Fat Cakes?
“iToe fat cakes” simply refers to the 24th episode in which these fat cakes appeared. In this episode, Sam says that American fat cakes aren’t nearly as good as Canadian fat cakes because of the sugar they used.
Is iCarly Pink Cakes Based On Sno Balls?
I can confidently say that based on the physical appearance of the cake, the actual flavors, and the testimony of the cast, that iCarly fat cakes were inspired by Sno Balls. In fact, they used actual Sno Ball cakes on set.
Where Can You Buy Fat Cakes?
You can’t find the fat cakes from iCarly anywhere. But, you can buy Sno Ball at most supermarkets. They are widely available and affordable. That being said, I hate pre-packaged sweet treats. They don’t taste nearly as good and their texture is often a little stale.
Are Fat Cakes Illegal?
In real life, fat cakes aren’t illegal – at least not from my research. In the show, fans assume that Canadian fat cakes are illegal in America because of the type of fat they use. However, this is all fiction and I couldn’t find any evidence to show that fat cakes are illegal anywhere.
More Delicious Recipes
iCarly Fat Cakes – How To Perfectly Makes These Decadent Sweet Treats
For The Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 tbsp white spirit vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For The Cream Filling
- 5 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 tbsp heavy cream, room temperature
For The Marshmallow Coating And Garnish
- 12 large white marshmallows
- 1 tsp simple syrup
- 1 cup coconut shavings
- Pink food coloring
To Make The Chocolate Cupcakes
- Start by making the chocolate cupcakes first. Preheat your oven to 360ºF (180ºC). Then, fill your cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all of the dry ingredients. It is especially important to ensure the cocoa powder is broken up. Set them aside.
- Next, whisk together all the wet ingredients in another large bowl. Make sure that they are evenly distributed.
- Finally, add the wet ingredient mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix them well until you have a uniform and lump-free chocolate cupcake batter.
- Then, divide the batter between the 12 cupcake holes. Only fill them about halfway full. This will ensure that the fat cakes come out high enough to fill, but not so high as to look like a cupcake.
- Bake the cupcakes for roughly 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow them to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Make The Cream Filling
- To make your cream filling, start by adding the softened butter to a large mixing bowl. Then, add the powdered sugar and mix them.
- Next, add in your marshmallow fluff. Using a medium-high mixing speed, whisk together these three ingredients until you get a fluffy filling.
- Finally, add the heavy cream and mix them again. You can keep mixing until you get a uniform creamy filling.
- Place the filling into a piping bag and keep it aside.
Making The Coating And Garnish
- For the coating, start by adding the marshmallow into a heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Then, gently heat them in 15-second intervals. Stir the marshmallows between each using a wooden spoon.
- Once they are completely melted, fold in the simple syrup. Stir the mixture well to ensure you have a uniform mixture.
- Place the melted marshmallow coating into a piping bag. You can also just use a spoon to help portion the mixture, but it becomes messy. A piping bag will help create a clean look.
- To color, the coconut shavings, place them inside a plastic bag with a few drops of pink food coloring. Then, mix the ingredients until all of the shavings are uniformly colored.
Assemble Your iCarly Fat Cakes
- To assemble your iCarly fat cakes, start by coring the cupcakes. Then, fill each one with your cream filling.
- Next, line a silicone half-sphere mold with a piece of baking paper and non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of colored coconut shavings into each sphere. It should cover the sides as well.
- Then, add some marshmallow coating to each cup. Fill it about halfway at first. You can always add more later to cover the top.
- Now, push one cupcake into each marshmallow-filled sphere. Make sure that the cupcake goes in deep. But, it shouldn't make contact with the bottom of the mold. Otherwise, the chocolate cupcake will show through the pink coconut.
- Finally, add some more marshmallow coating over the cupcake and finish them off with coconut shavings.
- Allow the iCarly fat cakes to rest in the fridge until the coating has set. This can take up to 3 hours depending on your fridge temperature.