This recipe will show you exactly how to make the world-famous Domino’s cinnamon twists from scratch. The recipe is incredibly easy, creates a delicious texture, fluffy, and crunchy texture, and can be served with your favorite dipping sauce or frosting.
This is a sweet treat that you will love making and love eating. If you are looking for more copycat desserts, you can try my Disneyland Churros or these Homer Simpson Air Fried Donuts.
Domino’s Cinnamon Bread Twists
If you are a fan of Domino’s, it’s more than likely you’ve come across these deliciously sweet, sugary treats. They are one of the most famous dessert items on the menu and can actually be found across the globe!
If you aren’t lucky enough to be close to a Domino’s, I’ve got you covered.
Today, I will show you how to make these delicious cinnamon bread twists from scratch. If you are an advent baker, you likely already have all of the ingredients in your home.
This recipe is super easy to make, pretty versatile in the way you can serve it, and a fantastic make-ahead treat for those busy times in your life.
But before I get too carried away, what exactly are Domino’s cinnamon twists?
To put it simply, they are bread sticks made from a regular yeast-leavened dough. The dough is shaped into ribbons and coated with multiple layers of melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
What makes this cinnamon bread twist recipe unique is the texture of the dough and the layering of the sugar. The dough is super fluffy and tender, coated with a delicious rich crunchy sugary topping.
And, if you want to elevate these sticks even further, serve them alongside a dipping sauce or frosting.
Domino’s Cinnamon Bread Twists Ingredients – What You Will Need
First, you need to make the dough. This basic dough only needs milk, water, sugar, yeast, flour, baking powder, and salt. I also added some oil to help tenderize the dough more.
I would not recommend using a different kind of flour. You need the gluten-forming proteins that bread flour has to create the tender and elastic dough for the bread twists.
Next, you will need the topping ingredients; unsalted butter, and cinnamon sugar.
Normally I am a sucker for the salty-sweet flavor combination. But for a more authentic Domino’s cinnamon bread twist recipe, I use unsalted butter.
Then, you can buy premade cinnamon sugar or make your own. My preference is usually to make my own. It’s often a lot cheaper and you can adjust the amount of cinnamon you use.
To start, I use 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder for every 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar. Mix it well so the flavor is well distributed.
How To Make Dominos Cinnamon Twists
This recipe consists of three main steps. The first is to make the dough, the second is to shape and assemble the twists, and the final is to bake them.
Making The Dough
When you make the dough, it’s important to be gentle and take your time. You want to develop gluten through the kneading process. But, overworking the dough (kneading it for too long) will break the bonds and create a chewy and dense baked twist.
Only knead the dough until it is uniform in consistency and has a relatively smooth surface.
You can also do the touch test. Gently press your finger into the dough (do not break it). If the dough springs back into its original shape pretty quickly, there is sufficient gluten. If it stays in the indented position, it needs to be kneaded for a little longer.
Shaping And Assembling The Twists
Once the dough is made, you can start shaping the twists. What you ultimately want is a ribbon shape.
When the dough has been shaped, it needs to rest. This helps relax the gluten, which softens the texture.
Finally, you will need to layer some melted butter and cinnamon sugar. This layering helps create a more crunchy texture that a single layer will never give.
Bake The Cinnamon Ribbons
Domino’s cinnamon twists need to be baked for roughly 17-20 minutes. but, it’s best to check their doneness before removing them completely.
You can serve them warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
How To Serve Domino’s Cinnamon Bread Twists
These twists are great on their own. But that doesn’t mean they can’t get any better!
I always serve my copycat Domino’s cinnamon bread twists with a dipping sauce.
This can be anything from regular cream cheese, to a homemade runny chocolate ganache, vanilla frosting, lemony glaze, or mascarpone spread.
Also, for those with a real sweet tooth, you can serve these with some vanilla ice cream or homemade thick custard.
How many calories does a Domino’s cinnamon twist have?
According to Domino’s, each twist has roughly 125 calories. However, this number obviously changes depending on the copycat recipe you are making. Also, the more cinnamon sugar topping you add, the higher the calorie count will be.
Can you store leftover cinnamon twists?
Yes, but I usually don’t recommend it. The texture becomes very soft and loses some crunchiness. In this way, these are very similar to donuts. However, if you have to store them, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. The butter is perishable and shouldn’t be stored at room temperature.
Are cinnamon twists the same as cinnamon rolls?
Cinnamon rolls are also known as cinnamon buns, which should already answer your question. These two treats are almost exactly the same, but their shape differs. This affects how you eat them, how you serve them, and ultimately, the portion size.
Copycat Domino’s Cinnamon Twists Recipe – Step By Step Guide
For the dough
- 2/3 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk, lukewarm
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp active yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the cinnamon topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
Make The Dough
- First, bloom the yeast by combining it with water, milk, and sugar. Give the mixture a stir and leave it to sit for about 10 minutes. It will become foamy.
- While the yeast is activating, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Once the yeast has rested, slowly add the wet ingredient mixture to the flour mixture. You can also add the vegetable oil. Slowly and gently stir the ingredients together until a uniform dough starts to form.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Knead it for roughly 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and uniform in consistency.
Shape The Cinnamon Twists
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each one into a log.
- Take a log and place it in front of you. Fold it into the shape of a rainbow. Then, take one end and place it across the other end, forming a ribbon shape.
- Gently press the center to secure the piece of dough together.
- Repeat this shaping process with the rest of the dough logs. As you finish, place them onto a lined baking sheet.
- Cover the twists with plastic wrap and allow them to proof at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Bake The Domino's Twists
- While the twists are proofing, preheat your oven to 400⁰F (204⁰C).
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter so that it is ready to use when you need it.
- Wait until the dough has fully rested and then brush them properly with melted butter. Finally, sprinkle over some cinnamon sugar.
- Then, give the twists another coating of melted butter and a final sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. This creates a layered sweetness and uber-crunchy texture.
- Bake the cinnamon ribbons for 17-20 minutes, or until their bottoms start to caramelize.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven, brush them with more melted butter, and give them another sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
- Serve these delicious sweet treats while they are still warm.
Leave a Reply