Falafels are traditionally a middle eastern food that in recent years has spread to every corner of the world, and rightly so. They are sumptuous little fried balls of deliciousness to which everyone can add their own twist.
Falafels, I’ve found, can often be a little too dry, which is a shame because they really don’t have to be (nor should they be) if done correctly. My secret to making the perfect falafel that isn’t dry? Cooking them in the air fryer.
I’m so proud of my air-fried lemony falafels. They are so tasty and make just the perfect snack, in addition to a salad, or to throw in a wrap or pita with a drizzle of sauce and some crispy fresh veg.
Falafels are little supercharged balls of nutrition. Chickpeas are the base for any falafel and they are also incredibly good for you. Chickpeas are an incredibly rich source of fiber which is essential for your digestion. They are chocked full of vitamins and minerals which have a variety of health benefits too.
They are also high in protein, making them an ideal replacement for meat in meals. They are little power bites of goodness that should be a regular in your diet!
AIR-FRIED LEMONY FALAFEL
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 2 cups Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cup Parsley freshly chopped
- ¼ cup Coriander freshly chopped
- ½ Onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Cooking spray
- Fry the cumin and coriander seeds over medium heat until fragrant.
- Grind using a mortar and pestle.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor, except for the cooking spray, and blend until a fine consistency is achieved.
- Use the hands to mold the mixture into falafels and spritz with the cooking spray.
- Transfer the falafels to the air fryer basket in one layer.
- Air fry at 400ºF / 200ºC for 15 minutes, serving when they turn golden brown.