Looking for a delicious and healthy snack that will WOW your guests? Look no further than these Tostones Rellenos de Camarones, also called Plantain Cups with Shrimp or mofonguitos.
These cups are simple to make and require only a few fresh ingredients. The sweetness of the plantains, the lightness of the shrimps, the creaminess of the avocado, and the crunch of the cucumber, radishes, beets, and corn create a flavor explosion in your mouth!
What are Tostones Rellenos?
Tostones Rellenos are a Caribbean appetizer made of double-fried green plantains. They have been popular in the Caribbean for decades and are growing in popularity around the world. They can be found at many restaurants throughout Latin America. Toston Rellenos can be stuffed with seafood, chicken, or ground beef.
What are plantains?
Plantains are related to bananas, but their flavor is different. Plantains are a staple food in many parts of the world and can be eaten both ripe or unripe. Tostones Rellenos de Camarones feature green plantains which have not yet ripened. They tend to be sweet with a little bit of tanginess.
- Green Plantains
- Vegetable Oil
- Chili flakes
- Olive Oil
Prepare the Plantain Cups:
Cut the green plantains into pieces using a sharp knife. Heat up some vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the plantain pieces. Fry for about two minutes or until golden brown, and then put them on a paper towel to drain.
Shape the pieces with the bottom of a small bottle or a professional cup former.
Place back in the hot oil for about 30 seconds or until golden brown, and then drain again.
Prepare the shrimp cocktail:
Season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. In a separate pan, cook the shrimp over medium heat until they turn pink, and sprinkle with some lemon juice. Set aside.
Cut the beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, and avocado into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper, or your favorite salad dressing.
Now, fill up the plantain cups and garnish them with Persil to give them the final touch. Serve immediately.
There are many different options to fill up your Tostones Rellenos. Try shrimp, chicken, or beef as the main protein. Or go with a vegetarian filling of roasted vegetables. Be creative and have fun with it! These Tostones Rellenos are sure to be a hit at your next party!
- Make sure that the plantain pieces are well cooked through before taking them out of the oil, otherwise, they may break when shaping them into small cups.
- Don’t use too much liquid when filling up the cups, as this will make them soggy.
Can they be Air-Fried?
Yes, you can use an air fryer to make Tostones Rellenos. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 200°C and fry the plantain pieces for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Take them out, and spray them with a little salt water to make sure they don’t become too dry.
Shape them into small cups, return to the air fryer, and cook for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Top with your favorite filling and enjoy!
Can I use yellow instead of green plantains?
Yes, you can also use yellow plantains. For Tostones Rellenos de Camarones, it’s best to use green plantains though as they offer a bit of tanginess and sweetness which goes well with the shrimp filling. They are also more firm and easier to shape into small cups.
Can I use a different type of oil?
You can use any type of cooking oil you prefer, such as olive oil, sunflower oil, or coconut oil. Just make sure it’s a healthy vegetable oil that is good for frying.
What can I do if my Tostones Rellenos break when shaping them?
If your plantain cups break when shaping them, it means that they are not fully cooked through before shaping them. Tostones Rellenos need to be fried twice, once when you cut the plantains into pieces and a second time after shaping them into small cups.
Are Tostones Rellenos gluten-free?
Yes, they are naturally gluten-free as there is no wheat involved in the recipe.
Can Tostones Rellenos be made ahead of time?
They are best enjoyed fresh and crispy. If you need to make them ahead of time, store them in an airtight container in the fridge and fry them for a few minutes before serving.
More Delicious Snacks Recipes
Plantain Cups with Shrimp (Tostones Rellenos de Camarones)
- 4 Green Plantains
- 4 Cups Vegetable Oil
- 200 grams Shrimps
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Chili flakes
- 1/2 Lime
- 3 Beetroots
- 2 Corn Cobs
- 4 Baby Cucumbers
- 1 handful Cherry Tomatoes
- 5 Radishes
- 2 Tbsp Persil
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Fill a large pot with water, and add some salt. Cook the Beetroot and Corn until cooked thoroughly.
- Cut the avocado, cucumber, radishes, beetroot, and corn into small pieces. I always add some lemon juice over the avocado so the color stays bright.
- Peel the plantains and cut them into 3 to 4 pieces. Depending on how large one plantain is, you can do 3 or 4 little cups out of it.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan. Deep-fry each piece until they are golden brown. It is very important that they are well cooked through, otherwise, they will break when squeezing them into little cups.
- Take them out of the oil and start squeezing the pieces with the bottom of a small bottle in a muffin tin or a lemon squeezer or a professional cup former.
- Then deep-fry all cups again for a few minutes at medium heat until they are golden brown.
- Take them out of the oil and either put them in the oven at medium heat until the filling is ready or let them cool down (you can eat them hot or cold).
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan at low heat. Add the shrimps and fry them for 4 to 5 minutes. Season them with salt, pepper and chili. Add some lemon juice for the taste.
- Now fill up the plantain cups and garnish them with basil and Persil to give it the last touch.
- Serve immediately.
- Mix everything in a large bowl and add the dressing. Mix again.