This Ice Cream Coffee is super creamy and delicious. Made with just a few simple ingredients, it will rival even the best coffee you’ve had at your favorite coffee shop.
This recipe is amazing because it features 4 base ingredients, espresso, milk, vanilla ice cream, and Ice Cream Coffee. This Ice Cream Coffee is garnished with whipped cream and chocolate shavings and comes together in less than 5 minutes. You literally just place the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Espresso: Freshly brewed espresso is the star of this story. It gives the ice cream its coffee flavor and helps to make it super creamy.
Milk: I used whole milk in this recipe, but you could also use 2%, skim, or even almond milk.
Vanilla Ice Cream: I used my favorite brand of store-bought vanilla ice cream, but you could also use homemade vanilla ice cream.
Coffee Ice Cream: Coffee ice cream amplifies the espresso flavor and provides a touch of sweetness.
Whipped Cream: Whipped cream adds a beautiful garnish to the drink, and you get to eat whipped cream.
Chocolate Shavings: Chocolate shavings are another optional garnish designed to make the Ice Cream Coffee beautiful. However, the smoothness of chocolate complements the coffee’s bitter flavor.
Is Ice Cream and Coffee a good match?
It sounds strange, I know, but don’t knock it until you try it. If you think about it, ice cream is frozen cream, milk, or sugar, which are the same ingredients most people put into their coffee every day.
So why not put ice cream in your coffee. It will have the flavor of an iced coffee but the texture of a milkshake which is a match made in heaven.
History Of Ice Cream Coffee
Essentially, this recipe is an iced coffee with ice cream in it. Although it seems unheard of, it is a common practice. Who is responsible for this extraordinary coffee remains unclear.
On the one hand, some Australians are known to put ice cream in coffee. However, this is not a universal practice. Australian coffee is made with cold brew, topped with a scoop of ice cream in some cases.
On the other hand, Germans have a coffee called Eiskaffee. Eiskaffee is made with cold coffee and vanilla ice cream. However, it is not the same as frappe because it is not blended.
Whether it be Australian or German Eiskaffee, they are both similar to affogato. Affogato also known as affogato al caffe is an Italian coffee dessert that features a scoop of semi-soft gelato or ice cream that is saturated with a shot of hot espresso. The ice cream or gelato is usually cheese or vanilla flavored.
Usually, coffee beverages are made with coffee, milk, or hot water that is whipped with a spoon until the mixture takes on light color and is frothy. However, instead of making coffee the old-fashioned way, I chose to let the blender do all of the hard work. Additionally, adding the ice cream turns it into a frothy coffee potion.
Use Quality Coffee
The type of coffee you use will determine whether this Ice Cream Coffee is a hit or miss. Therefore, you must pay attention to the brand of coffee you use.
Ensure you source your coffee beans from a reputable supplier and that they are roasted and ground correctly. If you are using instant coffee, make sure you use your favorite coffee.
In addition to this, you must also pay attention to the way you prepare your coffee. I brewed my espresso in an espresso machine.
Nevertheless, make sure you use a strong brew that complements the milk and ice cream perfectly. If you’re worried about having a strong flavor, you can decrease the amount of espresso.
How Long Can You Store Ice Cream Coffee?
Unfortunately, this Ice Cream Coffee does not keep well. Like fried food, it is best served immediately.
The longer the Ice Cream Coffee sits, the less pleasant it will be. The ice cream will melt as it sits, causing the Ice Cream Coffee to lose its frothy semi-solid texture.
Can I Make Ice Cream Coffee Without Ice Cream?
Of course, you can make this ice cream without ice cream. Even though ice cream is an important ingredient in this Ice Cream Coffee, this recipe is totally customizable.
If you are not a fan of ice cream, you can make it without the ice cream. In addition to this, you may have to add a sweetener such as sugar since this Ice Cream Coffee gets its sweetness from the Ice Cream Coffee and vanilla ice cream.
Ice Cream Coffee Variations
The amazing thing about this Ice Cream Coffee ream recipe is that it is customizable, which means you can change any ingredient if you want. You can leave out the Ice Cream Coffee if you think the coffee flavor will be too strong, or you can substitute the vanilla ice cream with chocolate ice cream.
• Chocolate ice cream: If you are looking to add a chocolate flavor to your Ice Cream Coffee, then chocolate ice cream is the perfect substitution. In fact, many people believe that chocolate and coffee are the perfect pair. By adding chocolate ice cream, you will create a delicious and decadent Ice Cream Coffee.
• Bourbon: If you want to give your Ice Cream Coffee an adult twist, then you can add a shot of bourbon. The bourbon will give the Ice Cream Coffee a deep and rich flavor.
• Whipped cream: If you are looking for a topping that will take your Ice Cream Coffee to the next level, then whipped cream is a perfect choice. Whipped cream is light and fluffy, and it will add a touch of sweetness to your Ice Cream Coffee.
• Caramel: Another great topping for Ice Cream Coffee is caramel. Caramel pairs perfectly with the coffee flavor, and it will add a richness and sweetness to your ice cream.
• Sprinkles: Lastly, if you are looking for a fun and festive topping, then sprinkles are a great choice. Sprinkles come in many different colors and flavors, so you can find the perfect one to match your Ice Cream Coffee.
More Coffee Recipes:
Ice Cream Coffee
- 1/2 cup espresso
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 scoop vanilla ice-cream
- 1 scoop coffee ice cream
- whipped cream for garnish
- melted chocolate for decoration
- Place the espresso, milk, vanilla ice cream, and coffee ice cream into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the coffee ice cream into a glass and top it with the whipped cream and melted chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy!