Today, I will share with you my copycat Mcdonald’s mango pineapple smoothie recipe. This smoothie has a rich, creamy consistency and is loaded with sweet, tangy, and slightly tart flavors. All because it is made from fresh ingredients only!
McDonald’s Pineapple Mango Smoothie Ingredients – What Goes Into This Recipe?
If you take a look at the official ingredients list for the mango pineapple smoothie from McDonald’s, you will see that they only use ice, a low-fat yogurt smoothie base, and the mango-pineapple fruit base. As you can imagine, that doesn’t tell us much.
So, I spend hours developing the ultimate copycat Mcdonald’s mango pineapple smoothie recipe. And if I may say so myself, it could possibly even be better than their original recipe!
So, what do you need?
Mango And Pineapple
First and most importantly, we need mango and pineapple. I decided not to use ice for this recipe as it can dilute the flavor of the fruit as it melts. Instead, we will be freezing the diced fruit in advance.
This has other benefits as well such as cutting down prep time for future smoothies. I usually toss all of the fruit together and place one recipe in one freezer bag. So, if I want to make a smoothie before running a ton of errands in the morning, I only have to remove one pre-portioned and prepped bag of frozen fruit.
You can technically use premade orange juice. But it won’t have the authentic flavor of freshly squeezed orange juice. Unless, of course, you bought freshly squeezed or cold-pressed orange juice.
You will need about 2 medium oranges to get 1/2 cup of orange juice. One orange will only give you between 1/4 to 1/3 cup of juice.
Sweetness Of Your Choice (optional)
You can use granulated white sugar or a lower-calorie alternative. Take a look at this in-depth list of options. This will also make the smoothie more suitable for some diabetics (not all).
Low-Fat Plain Yogurt
And finally, this Mcdonald’s mango pineapple smoothie recipe also uses low-fat yogurt. You can use full-cream or Greek yogurt if you’d like. There really isn’t a right or wrong here, and the only real difference is going to be the calorie count.
Low-fat yogurt is lower in calories. But, it often contains a bunch of chemical additives to make it taste as good as full-fat yogurt. So, you need to decide what you prefer: more additives or more calories.
Just don’t remove the yogurt completely. It adds a rich, creamy texture and tangy flavor to the McDonald’s mango smoothie recipe.
There are some alternatives you can use, but few of them will work as great as yogurt. So best to just stick to it.
Tips And Tricks For Making This Mcdonald’s Mango Pineapple Smoothie Recipe
- When you freeze the fresh fruit inside a freezer-safe bag, make sure it is laid flat. This way, it will freeze more quickly and evenly than if you try to freeze large clumps of fruit.
- If you want to use fresh fruit, add between 1 to 2 cups of ice cubes. The ice cubes will help give the ingredients a smoothie-like consistency and texture. If you leave it out and don’t use frozen fruit, your mixture will have a runny, juice-like consistency.
- My favorite garnishes to use for this smoothie recipe include fresh mint leaves, cubed pineapple, toasted coconut shavings, and cubed mango. You can also use dried mango or pineapple pieces. There really isn’t a wrong answer here! The most important part is the smoothie.
- To make this smoothie vegan, substitute the yogurt with a vegan alternative. There are many options available today! And depending on your beliefs, you can substitute the sugar with a vegan-friendly alternative, like agave syrup.
How long does frozen fruit last in the freezer?
Once your fruit has been prepared, it can last up to 8 months inside the freezer. But only if it has been stored in a freezer-safe container and in a foil covering. Make sure that the freezing temperature remains stable, and the fruit doesn’t thaw and refreeze constantly.
Is the Mango Pineapple smoothie from McDonald’s healthy?
Unfortunately, it is not. However, there are many ways you can cut down on calories. For one, you can completely remove the added sugars and replace the full-cream yogurt. This copycat recipe as-is contains roughly 400 calories per serving. Pretty high.
But by just removing the sugar, you are already lowering that number to about 300 calories per serving.
Can you freeze a mango pineapple smoothie?
Believe it or not, you can even freeze a smoothie mixture. However, you will need to re-blend it again before serving and drinking it. Store the smoothie inside an airtight container covered with foil. It can last between 3-6 months, depending on how well you stored it.
More Smoothie Recipes
Mcdonald’s Mango Pineapple Smoothie Recipe With Variations
- 2 cups fresh mango, diced frozen
- 2.5 cups fresh pineapple, diced frozen
- 1 ¼ cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ cup low-fat plain yogurt
Freeze the mango and pineapple
- To start, peel and dice the pineapple and mango. Keep the fruit separate before portioning them into bags.
- Measure out 2 cups diced mango and 2.5 cups fresh diced pineapple. Place these amounts in one freezer-safe resealable bag. They can mix once they are measured out.
- Leave the fruit to freeze for about 2 hours. You can obviously leave it for longer until you need it again.
Make the smoothie
- When you are ready to make the smoothie, place the frozen fruit and remaining ingredients in a blender jug.
- Pulse the ingredients until you have a uniformly thick, creamy, and smoothie-like mixture.
- Serve your McDonald's mango pineapple smoothie recipe immediately with a garnish if you'd like.