Jamaican Rice and peas is a simple recipe to prepare. As the name suggests, it contains red kidney peas and rice, mixed with flavorful Jamaican authentic coconut milk, seasonings, herbs, and spices to ensure its classic taste.
Rice and peas are enjoyed on Sundays in Jamaica and served in restaurants all over the island. Jamaicans often enjoy it with meat such as oxtail, jerk chicken, stew beef or pork, or steamed fish.
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS
- 2 cups Red kidney beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups Coconut milk
- 4 cups Rice
- 5 cups Water
- 2 stalks Scallion chopped
- 1 Small onion sliced
- 4 Pimento seeds crushed
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Maggi al-purpose seasoning
- Wash well the peas twice and remove any dirt.
- Add peas to a medium or large saucepan, then add 2 cups of water followed by 2 cloves of crushed garlic, cover the saucepan and bring peas to boil on high flame. Allow water to boil down to peas level, check intermittently to prevent burning. After the water is boiled down, add 3 cups of water to sink the peas, then boil at high flame until the peas are tender.
- When the peas are tender, add coconut milk to the pot, scallion, thyme, pimento, salt (to taste), scotch bonnet pepper (use a knife to pierce the green pepper to add flavor), onion, Maggi seasoning, and margarine. Stir and boil for at least 20 – 30 mins ensuring the mixture thickens to a stew-like texture. Stir it, occasionally scraping residues off the sides of the pot and placing them back into the mix. Add sugar, then boil for about 5 to 10 mins.
- When the color of the mixture attains the color of the peas and is thickened to a stew-like texture. Wash rice and add to the mixture, ensuring the rice is 1 inch below water (you should not only see the rice if it is stirred).
- Stir the rice, reduce the flames to medium heat, cover the saucepan, and allow the rice to cook, carefully watching to prevent burning. When the liquid has evaporated from the rice, and you are now seeing the rice, turn down the flames to the lowest heat and cover-up to allow steam.
- Stir the rice occasionally and allow to steam. When the rice is cooked, the grains are plumped.
- Serve the rice and peas with any meat and sauce from the meat, enjoy as main staple or side dish