Harry Potter butter beer is arguably the most famous drink from this franchise. And seeing as fans across the globe are continuously raving about it, I thought it was high time I try making my own version.
My butter beer recipe is simple to make, just requires some basic steps, and is very adjustable. There are loads of versions and a ton of alternative serving options to choose from as well. Ultimately, it is a fantastic refreshing recipe that the whole family will love!
What Is Harry Potter Butter Beer?
If you haven’t heard of butter beer, you probably haven’t properly watched the movies. Butter beer is one of the most popular Harry Potter beverages in the franchise.
The beer makes an appearance in many films of this series. The first well-known reference to it comes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Then, one of the most famous scenes on it to date appears in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The three young wizards head to the Three Broomsticks to talk with Slughorn. There, Hermione seems to become drunk after indulging in some butter beer.
While this beer is shown in the movie as being made with alcohol, in real life it is not. Today, we will explore this amazing recipe that is sweet, fizzy, and refreshing!
How To Make Harry Potter Butter Beer Recipe
Making the Harry Potter butter beer recipe is incredibly easy! Essentially, there are two parts that you have to make. The third element is simply some cream soda you can buy and add.
There are a few different other recipes on the internet. But, if I may say so myself, mine is very close to the actual drink in the movie – both in looks and flavor!
So, the components you need to make for my butter beer recipe include butterscotch-flavored whipped cream, a runny caramel sauce, and some cold fizzy cream soda.
Start with the quick and easy caramel sauce preparation.
Then, you can continue with the whipped cream and add a tablespoon of caramel sauce. And with a little bit of magic, your topping will be perfect!
Now that all your components are ready, you can follow the exact instructions below and pour them into a Harry Potter butterbeer mug. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
Tips And Tricks For Making This Butter Beer From Harry Potter
This butter beer recipe from Harry Potter is super easy to make. But, I have some tips and tricks that will make your life even easier!
- When you are making the caramel sauce for the butter beer recipe, you shouldn’t mix the sugar and water mixture. Once you combine them, stir the ingredients well. Then, allow the sugar to melt on its own. If you mix it constantly, you may upset the sugar molecules. In turn, this will cause them to crystallize and become lumpy. Once that happens, there is nothing you can do to re-melt the sugar or save the mixture.
- If you want to use salted butter, you can. There isn’t any reference or reason that says otherwise. And in my opinion, it will add a delicious salted caramel flavor profile to your drink!
- You have to allow the caramel mixture to cool down completely before adding it to the butterbeer mug. Otherwise, the cold cream soda will shock it and make it become hard.
- If you can’t find butterscotch-flavored syrup, you can also use butterscotch essence. It is likely easier to find.
Variations Of Harry Potter Butterbeer
As I have mentioned, there are some variations of the Harry Potter butter beer drink.
The main one is that people serve it with scoops of vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream. You can drizzle some butterscotch syrup over the ice cream before serving it.
There are also alcoholic versions of this Harry Potter drink recipe. But, in my personal opinion, it isn’t nearly as good.
And finally, during the cold winter months, people like to make and serve the butter beer beverage warm. Instead of using cream soda, they use heated cream or milk.
Is Harry Potter Butter Beer Alcoholic?
The answer is a little bit controversial. According to die-hard fans of the books, butter beer is alcoholic. However, in the movies, because the franchise markets toward kids and young adults, butter beer is alcoholic-free.
Most recipes you will find out there today, including mine, are also completely alcohol-free. Even at most Harry Potter-themed stores, bars, and cafes, they sell this beverage as non-alcoholic.
But naturally, if you are looking to jazz things up, there are some boozy beverage options you can try.
Where Can You Buy Harry Potter Butter Beer?
There is actually a surprising amount of places you can buy Harry Potter butter beer. Universal Studios is probably the easiest place to go. There, you also have a ton of places to choose from on your tour. But, obviously, not everybody can get to Universal Studios.
The Harry Potter New York shop is part of the Wizarding World franchise. Here, they have a butter beer bar that sells this beverage on tap!
But, here is some even better news.
Butter beer is now sold in bottles in a ton of stores nationwide. But, if you don’t find it near you, it can be ordered online!
Should I Make Butter Beer Better Cold Or Hot?
Most people say that butter beer is best cold and non-alcoholic. And I cannot agree more!
Naturally, I tried to create a warm recipe, but it wasn’t nearly as good as the chilled one. My recipe is uber refreshing, easy to make, and doesn’t require extra steps!
If you want another cold refreshing beverage, then you have to try my Ice Cream Coffee!
Looking for more movie-inspired recipes?
Delicious And Creamy Harry Potter Butter Beer
- 1 cup granulated brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp butterscotch-flavored syrup
- 1 1/2 cups cream soda
- To start, add the granulated brown sugar into a pan along with the water. Then, heat it over medium-high heat and allow it to melt.
- Once all of the sugar has been melted, you can add the butter. Whisk it in until it has been fully dissolved and incorporated into the sugar mixture. Next, you can whisk it in the heavy cream. Set the caramel aside to cool completely.
- Moving on, you can add more heavy cream into into a separate bowl. Whisk in the butterscotch-flavored syrup. Then, beat the cream until it reaches stiff peaks.
- To assemble your drink, first pour some of the liquid caramel sauce into your large glass jar. Then, carefully pour in the cream soda so that it doesn’t lose it’s fizziness. Finally, top the drink with your butterscotch whipped cream topping.
Leave a Reply