I love cinnamon rolls! There’s just something about when cinnamon, sugar, and butter are combined that creates the most amazing flavor experience. Fresh out of the oven, fluffy dough, and caramelized cinnamon sugar, they are just irresistible.
You start this recipe by making the dough, which for me is always an absolute joy.
Whenever you’re working with a dough recipe, no matter what it is, the process I always find very therapeutic. Even if you’re using a mixer rather than getting in there with your hands, the rhythm of it and just watching the dough come together is very relaxing.
I’ve made this recipe as simple as possible so you get perfect results every time, but you do want to give yourself plenty of time to do it and give the dough plenty of time to prove it properly. This is how you end up with pillow-soft cinnamon rolls.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and love the process as much as the end result.
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 cup Whole milk warmed
- 2 ½ teaspoons Instant dry yeast
- 2 Eggs
- 6 tablespoons Butter melted
- 4 ½ cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup White sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Ground cinnamon
FOR THE FROSTING:
- ½ pound Cream cheese softened
- 5 tablespoons Butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190°C and spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Begin by making the dough. Pour the warm milk into the bowl of your stand mixer then sprinkle the yeast over the milk. Let the yeast sit for 5 minutes to bubble and activate.
- Add the eggs, butter, salt, and sugar to the bowl and mix gently.
- Place the bowl on your stand mixer and attach the dough hook attachment.
- Add the flour to the mixer and then mix with the dough hook over medium-low speed until a smooth dough has formed. Add more flour if needed so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be a little sticky but still uniform in texture.
- Grease a separate large bowl with butter and place the dough in the bowl. Cover and let the dough rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- While the dough rises, make the filling by combining all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mixing until well blended.
- Once the dough has risen, place it on a lightly floured work surface and roll into a large rectangle, roughly 24 inches by 15 inches in size and about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the filling across the sheet of dough, spreading it evenly across the entire surface of the dough.
- Roll the dough up like a jelly roll, starting at the long end and rolling tightly.
- Slice the dough roll with a serrated knife, cutting slowly as to not compress the dough as you cut.
- Place the rolls in the prepared baking pan and then cover with plastic wrap. Let the cinnamon rolls rise for another 20 minutes.
- Uncover the rolls and place in the preheated oven. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, make the frosting by beating together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until the mix is light and fluffy.
- When the cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, let them cool slightly and then spread the cream cheese frosting across the top while the rolls are still a little warm. Pull them apart and then serve!