Have you ever tried to combine Big Macs and tacos? Well, that’s exactly what TikTok did with this new viral food combo, Big Mac Tacos.
These burger tacos are a fantastic example of fusion cuisine that incorporates the best parts of both dishes.
You have the classic ground beef smashed patty smothered in melted cheese and the world-renowned Big Mac sauce, all enclosed in a flour tortilla with other delicious garnishes like lettuce, onions, and pickles.
If you’re a fan of special taco recipes with a twist, you might want to give Spaghetti Tacos a try.
If you love tacos and you’re a little bit obsessed with McDonalds, too (no judgment here), then this is just something you have to try!
What Are Big Mac Tacos?
If you’re a follower of food-tok, you’ve most likely come across the most recent viral recipe, Big Mac Tacos. They also go by other names such as “smash burger tacos,” “Big Mac smash tacos,” or “Big Mac smash burger tacos.”
In the end, they’re identical – a mouthwatering medley of smashed burger patties, American cheese, shredded lettuce, dill pickles, diced onions, and flour tortillas, all enveloped in the renowned and delectable Big Mac sauce.
Essentially, this combination of elements aims to transform the Big Mac burger into taco form.
Smash patties are made by pressing ground beef directly onto a hot grill. This allows the ground beef burger patty to char nicely, giving it a delicious smoky flavor and slightly crispy texture.
Big Mac Tacos Ingredients and Variations
Before we jump into the recipe for these Big Mac tacos, we have to talk about the sauce first, as this is the most time-consuming element.
Ingredients For The Big Mac Sauce
There are several ingredients needed to make this burger sauce for our Big Mac tacos. The important thing to note here is that this Big Mac sauce, like most of my recipes, is flexible.
You can also include other sauces, such as my HelloFresh Cream Sauce Base.
First up, you will need some mayonnaise. This will be the base of the sauce, so make sure you choose a high-quality option. You can also buy egg-free alternatives or reduced-oil options.
If you are feeling adventurous, try your hand at making a homemade mayonnaise. You can find an easy recipe in seconds!
You can make your own pickle relish or buy premade ones that usually come in a jar.
These kinds of pickles are usually made from cucumber, vinegar, salt, and sugar. I prefer using a sweet pickle relish that balances out the salty and savory flavors in this Big Mac tacos recipe.
You must also try the Turkey Burger.
Next, you will also need a couple of different spices. These include grated onion, yellow mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
These are pretty set in stone, and at the most, I’d use a smoked paprika to deepen the flavor profile, but you don’t have to.
While salt and pepper aren’t included in the list of spices, feel free to add some to taste. You can also season your ground beef Big Mac taco patties with kosher salt and black pepper.
Vinegar And Honey
Do not leave these ingredients out of the Big Mac sauce recipe. Many people do and then wonder why the Big Mac Taco recipe seems unbalanced.
The white vinegar (or pickle juice) helps add a tanginess while the honey balances it out. You can experiment with quantities to create a flavor profile that you like.
That being said, I’ve spent hours developing this Big Mac taco, especially the Big Mac sauce. This ratio of ingredients is perfect as is and helps create an overall well-balanced classic burger flavor.
Ingredients For My Big Mac Tacos Recipe
Making smash burger patties is pretty straightforward and because the recipe is so simple, there’s not much you can do in terms of variation. At the most, I would use an alternative to ground beef, like ground chicken or ground pork.
The first garnish you have to add to your Big Mac tacos is iceberg lettuce. You can use another kind of shredded lettuce, but iceberg lettuce just has the best semi-sweet flavor and soft yet crunchy texture.
The minced white onion and chopped pickles help add some texture and a spicy, peppery undertone to the overall flavor of your smash burger tacos.
I also highly recommend using American cheese. There are some other alternatives available that are less processed and that will create a better-melted cheese texture. But in my opinion, American cheese is what makes Big Mac tacos more authentic.
And finally, the tortillas. For these Big Mac tacos, we’ll be using flour tortillas instead of hamburger buns.
Many people prefer using corn tortillas, but in my opinion, they are too rigid for this recipe and don’t resemble a sesame seed bun well. Flour tortillas are more pliable, have a better floury-doughy flavor, and have a softer texture.
How to make Big Mac tacos
1. Combine mayonnaise, pickle relish, grated onion, mustard, vinegar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and honey in a mixing bowl until thoroughly blended. Set up a station with lettuce, pickles, onions, and your copycat Big Mac sauce.
2. Shape ground beef into thin, wide patties, then cook them in a frying pan until browned and slightly charred.
3. Place tortillas on the cooked side of each patty and press down to flatten. Cook until the other side of the patty is done, and the tortilla becomes crispy. Add a cheese slice on top and take it off the heat.
4. Assemble your tacos with pickles, lettuce, onions, and a drizzle of Big Mac sauce. Enjoy!
How To Make The Best Smash Burger Patties With Ground Beef- The Secrets Spilled!
The ground beef patties are the trickiest element of this recipe. The key lies in the thickness of the patties and the temperature you use to cook them.
First, roll the ground beef into a ball. You can use a burger press or your hands to make a thin layer of beef.
Some people even prefer using a rolling pin and rolling the ground meat between two pieces of wax paper. Whatever the method you prefer using, make sure the patties aren’t thick.
This is also why it’s important to continually press the patty down, even during cooking.
Next, make sure that your grill is on medium-high heat. If you use medium-low heat, the Big Mac taco patties won’t char. If your heat is too high, the Smash burger taco patties will burn. Medium-high heat when using a skillet is key!
My burger tacos recipe doesn’t use seasoned ground meat, but feel free to add some salt and pepper.
Making The Big Mac Sauce In Advance
While any recipe is best made fresh, to save yourself even more time when making these smash burger tacos, you can make the Big Mac sauce a few days ahead.
Place the made sauce inside a small bowl or airtight container. Wipe the sides and cover the Big Mac sauce with plastic wrap pressed directly against the surface. This helps reduce the risk of quick bacterial growth and sauce spoilage.
Store the sauce inside the fridge for roughly 4-5 days. If you are using homemade mayonnaise in the sauce, you shouldn’t keep it for longer than 3 days.
If you love cheesy recipes, you might enjoy trying the Old Fashioned Baked Macaroni dish.
Tips And Tricks For Big Mac Tacos
While this recipe is already incredibly easy, there are a few tips for making Big Mac tacos that can come in handy.
- Experiment with seasoning your Big Mac taco sauce. Good spices to start with adjusting include onion powder garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
- When you make Big Mac tacos, make sure that the skillet is preheated before cooking the patties. This helps the meat grill better and prevents it from sticking.
- If you want to keep your tacos warm before serving, preheat the oven to 120℃ (240℉). Place the tacos (without the briny pickles, lettuce, onions, and sauce) on a wire rack. Do not use a baking sheet! It will prevent them from becoming soggy.
- If you have any leftover smash burger tacos (but it’s unlikely – trust me) you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
TikTok Viral Big Mac Tacos
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 American cheese slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 5 flour tortillas
Big Mac Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tbsp pickle relish
- 1 ½ Tbsp grated onion
- 1 ½ tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp honey
Making Big Mac Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle relish, grated onion, mustard, and vinegar, blending them thoroughly with a small whisk or spoon until well combined.
- Add paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and honey to the mixture, stirring until all the seasonings are fully integrated.
Making Big Mac Taco
- Set up a station with lettuce, pickles, onions, and your copycat Big Mac sauce.
- Divide the ground beef into 4-5 portions and shape each into a thin, wide patty. Heat the pan over medium heat.
- Place them in a frying pan. Once the patties have browned and developed a slight char on one side (approximately 2 minutes), flip them.
- After flipping, place a tortilla on top of the cooked side of the patty and press down firmly to flatten the patty further.
- Allow the other side of the patty to cook until done, about another 2 minutes. Flip once more, so the tortilla can warm up and become crispy. This will also aid in folding the tacos later.
- Add a slice of cheese and let it melt while the tortilla continues to cook.
- Remove the tacos from heat and place them on a plate. Begin by topping them with pickles, followed by shredded lettuce, and finally, the diced onions.
- Drizzle the earlier prepared Big Mac sauce over the tacos and savor the deliciousness!