Today, I will be showing you exactly how to make the world-famous Stranger Things Upside Down Milkshake. After searching high and low, I couldn’t get a recipe that truly replicates the one in the series. So, I decided to create my own!
This Stranger Things chocolate blackberry upside-down milkshake is extremely fun to make and packed with flavor. If you’re tired of the same old boring milkshakes, this is the perfect way to spice things up a little.
And milkshakes are perfect for nearly any occasion. Kids of all ages (including adult ones) will love this sweet treat! If you want to try another delicious milkshake, I highly recommend this Riverdale Strawberry Shake.
Can You Make The Stranger Things Milkshake At Home?
As I have mentioned, when first seeing this milkshake, I immediately went searching for a recipe. But none of what I found really appealed to me. I tried a few but they were either too sweet or too tart. It seemed like people just threw some flavors together and hoped that they worked.
Well, that led me to create my own version of it. And if I do say so myself, it came out far better than I could have ever dreamed of!
Making this upside-down stranger things milkshake is very easy to do, and it doesn’t take a lot of time. What makes this recipe great as well is that it is very versatile.
As an example, you can change the type of cherries you use. You can use candied cherries, maraschino cherries, or fresh sweet cherries. Have a look at my tips section to see exactly how you can customize the recipe to meet your needs.
Furthermore, all that you need to make this recipe is a blender. If you don’t have one, a food processor or electric mixer can also get the job done.
What You Will Need To Make A Stranger Things Milkshake Recipe
This upside-down milkshake is similar to an upside-down tart. The toppings (which are usually at the top of the milkshake) are now at the bottom. Other than the actual assembly, the ingredients used for the milkshake remain exactly the same.
You need five main ingredients for a chocolate blackberry milkshake from Stranger Things. That includes whipped cream, cherries, chocolate ice cream, milk, and blackberries.
All of these ingredients are relatively easy to find and not too expensive (depending on where you are from). If you cannot get your hands on fresh blackberries (which is probably going to be the biggest challenge) then you can use frozen and thawed ones instead.
For ice cream chocolate, you can choose your favorite brand. You can even make your own.
Tips For Making A Milkshake From Stranger Things
- When whipping your cream, do not take it all the way to stiff peaks. Only beat it until it reaches medium peaks. That helps create a much creamier milkshake that won’t have lumps of cream inside.
- If you want to, you can use pre-whipped cream. You can even use thawed whipped topping if you’d like to.
- For the cherries, I like to use maraschino cherries. But, you can also use any other type of preserved cherry product. If you like the slightly tart flavor of fresh cherries, they will also work perfectly fine. But, make sure that you don’t buy sour cherries.
- I highly recommend that you use hard ice cream instead of softening it. If it isn’t hard and already semi-melted, you won’t have a thick creamy milkshake.
- If you do end up with a runny milkshake, simply add more firm (hard) ice cream scoops. That will help thicken the mixture. Alternatively, you can place the soft milkshake base in the freezer to harden for about 10-15 minutes.
Can you make a vegan Stranger Things milkshake?
Believe it or not, you can make a vegan upside-down milkshake or dairy-free one instead. You simply have to substitute all of the dairy ingredients with vegan alternatives. When it comes to chocolate ice cream, there are loads of vegan alternatives out there. And for milk, you can also use almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
Whipped cream is arguably the hardest vegan substitute. But, I recommend using coconut cream with a stabilizer (like powdered sugar).
And naturally, berries are all already vegan.
Why is it called an upside-down milkshake?
The upside-down part of the name refers to the “Upside-Down” in the series – an alternate but identical universe beneath Hopkins. In this universe, everything is, well, upside down. Where things are green and lively in the “real” Hopkins, the upside-down is filled with death and destruction.
So, for this milkshake, I’ve added the toppings to the bottom of the glass instead of on top as a garnish. Then, I added the milkshake mix to finish it off. Now, you have the ultimate upside-down milkshake.
Can you make this milkshake from stranger things without a blender?
You can make this chocolate stranger things milkshake recipe without a blender. As I have mentioned, you can also use a food processor or mixer. But, keep in mind that the results won’t be as smooth and creamy.
A tip is to make blackberry and cherry puree before you mix it in with softened chocolate ice cream.
Delicious Creamy Upside-Down Stranger Things Milkshake
- Whipped cream
- 1 cup cherries
- 3 scoops chocolate ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- To start, add a third of your cherries to the bottom of a large milkshake or cocktail glass.
- Then, add some whipped cream over the cherries. You can determine exactly how much you would like to add. I always add until the glass is filled at least a quarter or a third of the way. Set the glass inside the fridge.
- Add the remaining cherries into a blender with chocolate ice cream and milk. Then, blend the ingredients together until you have a uniformly smooth milkshake mixture.
- Next, add the fresh blackberries and blend the mixture again for another couple of seconds.
- Pour the chocolate milkshake into the glass and top with more fresh blackberries. Serve this Stranger Things milkshake immediately while it's still cold and fresh.