Nothing is more delicious than a rich and creamy bowl of Sopa Fria De Coditos. This dish is so versatile that you can serve it on any given day as an appetizer or as a side dish.
Moreover, you can even take the leftovers to work for a filling and tasty lunch. Also, check out more macaroni dishes like Ensalada De Coditos Con Atún, Baked Macaroni And Cheese, and Air Fryer Mac And Cheese.
What Is Sopa Fria De Coditos?
Sopa Fria De Coditos is a traditional Mexican dish whose name translates to cold elbow soup.
Even though the English translation implies it is a soup, it is a hybrid between a consommé soup and a cold, creamy pasta salad.
Can This Macaroni Salad Be Made in Advance?
Sopa Fria De Coditos can be made in advance easily so you can host efficiently on a busy schedule for any ocassion and meal preps.
Make it the night before will give the pasta time to absorb the dressing. If your Mexican elbow salad thickens up too much, you can always thin it out with 1-2 tablespoons of Mayonnaise.
Tips and Tricks
- Overcooking the elbow macaroni can result in a mushy mess when mixed with the dressing. Therefore, cook the pasta until it is al dente and make sure it has cooled down completely before tossing it with the dressing.
- Using good quality mayonnaise is very important as it is essentially the main component of this macaroni salad. If you use a sub-standard mayonnaise, everyone will be able to pick up on it right away.
- Season your elbow macaroni with a generous hand. Adding enough salt and pepper will ensure that your dish has a bold flavor and does not taste bland.
How To Store Your Mexican Macaroni Salad
To store your Sopa Fria De Coditos cover the serving platter tightly with plastic wrap or place it into an airtight container. As a result, this dish will stay fresh for 3-5 days when stored in the fridge.
Do You Rinse The Elbow Pasta?
Sopa Fria De Coditos is a cold pasta salad, so yes, the pasta should be rinsed. Rinsing the elbow macaroni will not only cool it down but will also get rid of excess starch that causes the pasta to stick together.
Can Sopa Fria De Coditos be Dairy-Free?
Converting this Mexican Macaroni Salad into a dairy-free dish is very easy. Simply substitute the mayonnaise and sour cream for plant-based options.
Can Sopa Fria De Coditos be Vegan?
The ingredients in this salad that are not vegan are sour cream, mayonnaise, and ham. Therefore, you can easily use plant-based substitutes for the sour cream and mayonnaise.
Moreover, for a ham substitute, you can either use a plant-based ham or add mushrooms to give this dish a meaty feel.
More Delicious Recipes:
Sopa Fria De Coditos (Mexican Macaroni Salad)
- 1 tsp Granulated chicken bouillon
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp Pickled jalapeño liquid
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- ½ tsp Yellow mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Ham
- 1 cup Carrot
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup Frozen Corn Kernels, thawed
- ¼ cup Roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 Tabsp Pickled jalapeños, minced
- Add the granulated chicken bouillon and elbow macro to a pot of salted boiling water. Cook the elbow macaroni for 7-10 minutes until it is al dente.
- Drain the elbow macaroni in a colander and rinse it with cold water. Set the elbow macaroni aside to cool completely.
- After that, whisk the pickled jalapeño liquid, mayonnaise, Mexican crema, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the ham, carrots, celery, corn, roasted red peppers, pickled jalapeños, and elbow macaroni and toss to combine.
- Serve the Sopa Fria De Coditos cold or keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Enjoy with your favorite meats, bread, and drinks.