Bursting with fresh basil flavor and a hint of onion, this roasted tomato soup recipe will be a hit on your dinner table no matter what time of the year. This great recipe for homemade tomato soup is the perfect appetizer, but can also be served as a main meal.
This roasted tomato soup is naturally vegan and gluten-free. Best of all, you can add or remove any ingredients because it is your tomato soup. The tomato basil soup uses simple, fresh ingredients that create an irresistible flavor and creamy texture.
Tomatoes: You can use red or yellow tomatoes if you desire. Note that different pigments in tomatoes create different levels of sweetness. Yellow tomatoes are sweeter than red, so it may be best to use a combination of yellow and red tomatoes for your tomato soup.
Onions: Onions also add a savory yet sweet flavor to the tomato soup. You can use white, yellow, red or whatever onions you prefer.
Bell peppers: Roasting them intensifies their naturally sweet flavor and adds an extra depth of flavor to the soup. I used yellow and red bell peppers because they are sweeter than green bell peppers, which can have a grassy flavor and may alter the color of the roasted tomato soup.
Habanero peppers: yields a smoky, fiery flavor. If you can’t find habanero peppers, you can use another type of chili pepper or even dried chili flakes.
Fresh basil: Fresh basil adds a subtle sweet flavor to this roasted tomato soup recipe. In addition to this, the basil helps offset the acidity of the tomatoes. I added the basil at the last second before I added the coconut milk. Too much heat can alter the flavor of the fresh basil.
Vegetable Broth: I used vegetable broth to keep the soup vegan. However, you can use water or chicken stock to thin the tomato soup if desired.
Salt and pepper: Salt and pepper add a savory flare and help balance the sweet and acidic flavors of the roasted tomato soup. If you like it spicy, add some red pepper flakes.
Coconut Milk: I used coconut milk to add a creamy texture to the tomato soup. However, you can use heavy cream, coconut cream, sour cream, or any other creamy ingredient that you like.
How to Make Roasted Tomato Soup
Start by cutting the tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers into small pieces and placing them on a baking sheet.
Next, roast the vegetables for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees F to allow them to caramelize and intensify their flavor.
Then, add the seasoned and roasted vegetables to a pot with vegetable stock. Cook, blend, and add the basil and blend again.
Then add the coconut milk to the soup. Use salt and pepper to taste, and voilà!
Why Make Your Own Roasted Tomato Soup
Yes, it would be easier to get some canned tomatoes from the grocery store and cook them for 15-20 minutes until soft or microwave a can of tomato soup.
Although this tomato soup requires you to go the extra mile by roasting the tomatoes, it is totally worth it. Roasting the tomatoes along with bell pepper until they are soft releases and intensifies their naturally sweet flavor, which simply cannot be replicated by any canned tomato soup.
Which Tomatoes Are Best For Tomato Soup?
Any tomatoes work for this tomato soup recipe. You can use cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes which have a sweeter flavor, or regular garden tomatoes. To make this roasted tomato soup, I used a combination of red and yellow garden tomatoes.
Do I Have To Remove The Skin From The Tomatoes?
I left the skin, as well as the seeds in my tomatoes. However, you can peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds if you want to.
Tips For Making Roasted Tomato Soup
- Use the ripest tomatoes you can find. Ripe tomatoes are sweet and roasting them intensifies their flavor.
- Feel free to peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds if you don’t like them.
- Although onions add an extra depth of flavor and balance out the soup’s flavor, you do not have to use as much onion as I did. You can also use 1 onion or 1/2 of onion if you are not the biggest onion fan.
- I used fresh basil to flavor this soup, but you can use your favorite herbs or whatever fresh herbs you have on hand.
- You can omit the habanero peppers if you do not like spicy soup. If you want to keep the soup mild, then only use one habanero pepper. If you want a bit of heat, then use two habanero peppers.
- If you want some extra vitamin c in your soup, you can add a cup of chopped spinach or kale.
How To Store Roasted Tomato Soup
You can store this roasted tomato soup in the refrigerator or the freezer. To store your soup in the refrigerator, place it into an airtight container and put it in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To store your roasted tomato soup in the freezer, let it come to room temperature, and pour it into a freezer-safe airtight container.
How To Reheat Roasted Tomato Soup
You can reheat your refrigerated roasted tomato soup in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. To reheat frozen roasted tomato soup, remove it from the freezer a day in advance and thaw it in the fridge overnight. Heat the tomato soup in the microwave at medium heat or in a pot on the stove until hot.
Let me give you a few ideas of what goes well with this homemade tomato soup. You can for example serve this roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, a quiche, crackers, focaccia bread, cornbread, or biscuits.
This roasted tomato soup with fresh basil is the perfect appetizer, main meal, or side dish. It is packed with flavor and is loved by all. Give this roasted tomato soup recipe a try today!
More delicious soup Recipes:
Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1½ pounds red tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pound yellow tomatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 small Habanero peppers
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Heat your oven to 400°F.
- Place the tomatoes, onion, and bell peppers into a baking dish, season them with salt and pepper and add the olive oil.
- Mix the tomato bell pepper mixture to combine and roast them for 30-40 minutes.
- Place the roasted tomato into a pot along with 1 cup of vegetable stock and cook it for 5-10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Blend the roasted tomato soup using an immersion blender or pour it into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the basil leaves to the tomato soup and blend until smooth
- Stir in the coconut milk divide the roasted tomato soup between 4 bowls.
- Serve with your favorite toppings enjoy!