Are you still wondering how to slice pineapple without wasting much of it? Then read along as I show you how to enjoy every bit of it using my foolproof and easy, simple instructions below.
Pineapples are one of the most delicious well-loved tropical fruits. Not only are they refreshing, but they are also full of nutrients that are good for growing kids and adults.
However, not many people know how to slice pineapples. Yep, that’s a fact! Fortunately, you can find the step-by-step procedure to slice pineapples in this post.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PINEAPPLE
It may be tough looking with its spiky skin, but pineapples boast tons of nutrients.
Pineapple is high in vitamin C, which aids your body’s immune system. It also has calcium, folate, magnesium, and potassium.
Not only are pineapples rich in nutrients, but they do contain antioxidants which may help reduce chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
No wonder this sweet tropical fruit is well-loved around the world.
So the next time you need a healthy dose of comfort food, go grab a few slices of these golden sweet nuggets.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW PINEAPPLE IS GROWN?
Unlike most fruits, pineapples don’t grow on trees. They grow out of the ground from a leafy green plant with swordlike leaves.
The pineapple fruit itself grows on top of the center of the stem topped off with numerous leaves that forms like a crown.
Once a pineapple is harvested, its crown is then planted to the ground (or a pot) to produce new fruit.
HOW DO YOU TELL IF A PINEAPPLE IS RIPE?
There are a couple of ways to tell if a pineapple is ripe.
- Smell – Sniff the bottom of the pineapple. If it smells fruity, and pineapple sweet, then it’s good to go.
- Color – Always remember, the more yellow a pineapple’s skin is, the riper the fruit will be. However, you don’t want it to go dark orange as that is already overly ripe.
- Feel – Ripe pineapples are slightly soft to touch when you squeeze it.
NOTE: Those firm green ones you see in grocery stores won’t get any riper coz pineapples don’t ripen much after it’s been harvested from their plant.
CAN YOU EAT THE CORE OF A PINEAPPLE?
Absolutely! Although most of us would discard that tough and less sweet part of the pineapple, it’s actually edible and packed with goodness.
EASY WAYS TO CUT PINEAPPLE
HOW TO PEEL PINEAPPLE
- Before slicing the pineapple, you need to remove the top.
- Next, place the pineapple on the cutting board and remove the bottom part.
- With one cut end on the chopping board, slice off the skin by cutting downwards. Rotate the pineapple while carefully removing the skin.
- Using a paring knife, remove the brown spots or the eyes of the pineapple.
- You are now ready to slice the pineapple into chunks or rings.
HOW TO SLICE PINEAPPLE INTO WEDGES
Did you know that grilled pineapples do taste great? Simply slice the pineapple into wedges using these steps below to enjoy them grilled.
- Follow the How To Peel a Pineapple instructions above.
- With the fruit standing flat on your chopping board, slice them into quarters by making a “T” cut right in the middle and removing the core.
- Take one section of that sliced pineapple with the core removed, and put it flat side down.
- Slice it in half lengthwise. You can already stop from here and enjoy your pineapple wedges thick OR you can divide each half in half again if you want slimmer wedges.
- Enjoy them as is or grill them for a fun cookout with friends and family.
HOW TO SLICE PINEAPPLE INTO RINGS
Making a Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Decorating your scrumptious holiday ham? Then slice the pineapple into rings.
Here’s how to do it…
- First, prepare your skinned pineapple on the chopping board.
- Next, slice the pineapple horizontally to make rings.
- You can then remove the core from the pineapple rings using a small cookie cutter.
Or you can use a pineapple corer for a faster and easier result.
- Start with cutting off the top of the pineapple.
- Place the center of the corer over the middle of the pineapple and press down a little bit.
- Then start turning the handle of the corer and allow it to make a spiral slice through the pineapple.
- When you get near the bottom, pull the whole corer out and you are done.
HOW TO SLICE PINEAPPLE INTO CHUNKS
Slicing them into chunks is best if you want to use pineapples for your smoothies. Here’s how to do it.
- Begin by placing the pineapple onto the chopping board.
- Slice the pineapple in half lengthwise.
- Take one of the slices and start cutting it into thinner slices.
- You will then remove the core placing each slice on the chopping board and carefully moving the knife through the core’s length. Do this for all the slices.
- With the core removed, you are now ready to cut the slices into chunks.
- Cut the pineapple slices crosswise to get your chunks.
HOW TO STORE SLICED PINEAPPLE
Now that you know how to slice pineapple, you can enjoy them right away or store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Discard them once they start to smell fermented.
You may also store cut pineapples in a resealable bag with much air removed and freeze for up to 12 months.