You know that feeling when you’re about to whip up a recipe, and you see it is written in grams? Or, you’re used to working with grams, and now you’re faced with ounces? Don’t panic; here is a great explanation of how many grams are in an ounce.
You’ll be back on track in no time, so read on.
What is an ounce, and why is it important?
An ounce is used in the culinary world as a unit of measure. It is used in the US systems as a measurement to define the mass and weight of ingredients and foods. Aside from food, ounces are also used as a measurement for medicine, precious metals, and chemicals. Due to its wide usage, it is an important unit of measurement.
One ounce is equal to 28,35 grams, approximately.
Grams to ounces Calculator
How to convert ounces to grams
Here is a way to convert ounces to grams if you are busy with a recipe and need to do the conversion.
Remember, 1 ounce = 28.35g
Use this working example when you need a reference:
3 ounces x 28.35g = 85.05g
You can also use a digital scale that has the option to switch between grams and ounces. The rule to remember is to convert ounces to grams by multiplying 28.35 by the number of ounces.
Here is a helpful conversion chart to print out and refer to whenever you need to.
|Icing sugar||1 cup||130 g||16 TBS||48 tsp|
|White sugar||1 cup||200 g||16 TBS||7 oz|
|Brown Sugar||1 cup||170 g||6 oz|
|Flour||1 cup||125 g||16 TBS|
|Butter||1 cup||8 oz||2|
|Salt||5 g||1 tsp|
|Honey||1 cup||340 g||12 oz|
|Molasses||310 g||11 oz|
|Corn starch||1 cup||128 g||4.5 oz|
|Baking powder||1 cup||156 g||5.5 oz|
|Self-raising flour||1 cup||142 g||5 oz|
|Oats||1 cup||85 g||3 oz|
What is a gram, and why is it important?
A gram is a unit and a way to measure mass. It is used in the metric system and is the base unit of mass in the Metric system. Beyond cooking and baking, and much like ounces, grams are used in a multitude of ways and industries. From pharmaceuticals, chemistry, jewelry, etc., it is a very important way to measure things and is used extensively.
Grams are also used as a standard unit of measurement in many countries, which makes the synergy between those places a little easier. Communication between these countries around weight and measurement is more efficient than between places with different systems of measurement.
How to convert grams to ounces
To switch across and convert grams to ounces, use the conversion factor of 1 gram = 0.03527 ounces.
A working example of this could be 50 grams x 0.03527 = 1.7635. So, basically, 50g = 1.7635 ounces.
Of course, using a digital scale with the ability to convert the ingredients is also a way to achieve this.
Tips for measuring in grams and ounces, for baking
Here are a couple of useful tips for measuring when you are baking. Following these steps will help you to succeed in your baking adventure. These are relevant whether your recipe is in ounces or grams:
- Use a scale that is clean and standing on a level surface. A kitchen scale is the most accurate way to measure grams and ounces. Start off by placing the bowl or container you are going to measure into on the scale. Next, use the tar or zero function to bring the scale to zero and weigh your ingredient.
- Start with your dry ingredients and measure them before and separately from your wet ones. Milk, honey, and eggs can be measured last. This will prevent inaccuracies as well as any mess.
- If the recipe is asking for grams, use grams throughout. Don’t switch halfway through to a different unit of measurement.
- Do all your conversion calculations before beginning.
- Weigh everything as precisely as possible. A baked good is set up for success when the ingredients have been properly weighed out. So, try not to guess – take your time getting the exact amount on the scale. Your recipe is there to give you guidance and help you succeed.
- Measure elements in the right order. Generally, ingredient lists are written up in the order in which they are used in the method.
Baking conversion chart: ounces to grams
This chart is just a basic list of ounces 1-12 and their equivalent in grams. It is meant to provide a simple way to convert ounces to grams. Checking the ingredients with a kitchen scale is always a great idea as a second check.
What is the Imperial System versus the Metric?
These are essentially the two different ways of measuring weight and volume. The metric system, aka the International System of Units, has grams, milliliters, and liters under its umbrella. The metric system is used by most of the world and is considered the standard system of measurement in science.
The Imperial system, on the other hand, uses ounces and fluid ounces and is used in the US, Liberia, and Myanmar.
In terms of baking, it’s important to look through the recipe first to see which system it’s referring to. If you need to convert the measurements to another system, give yourself enough time to do so.
Wrapping it up
I hope this article helps you work out how many grams to an ounce and so forth. Once you have the tools and the know-how, you will be able to switch between grams and ounces easily. Happy cooking and baking, friends!
Leave a Reply