Today I will show you how to make the signature HelloFresh fry seasoning from scratch! It is extremely easy, and my recipe is incredibly versatile!
I will show you the precise combination of spices to use that will create the distinctive HelloFresh flavor.
What Is In Fry Seasoning HelloFresh?
There is a lot of speculation on exactly what the HelloFresh fry seasoning ingredients are. However, if you buy a meal kit that includes this seasoning, the back of the package will give it all away.
The original seasoning only contains garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder. That’s it!
Now, the real question is, what are the ratios of these ingredients? Mixing 1 cup of paprika with one teaspoon of garlic and onion powder will basically only taste of paprika. So, how do you get that signature HelloFresh fry seasoning flavor?
Luckily, I did the hard work for you by mixing and testing various ratios. Finally, I found the ultimate combination of these three ingredients.
How To Make HelloFresh Fry Seasoning
All you need is 3 parts garlic powder, 3 parts paprika, and 2 parts onion powder.
Another way to look at it is by using one tablespoon of garlic powder, one tablespoon of paprika, and 2/3 tablespoon (2 teaspoons) of onion powder.
Variations For This Recipe
Now, while the original recipe is quite simple and straightforward, there are many ways you can spice it up.
But all jokes aside, you can adjust this spice blend in unlimited ways. Sure, it changes the whole “copycat HelloFresh fry seasoning” part of it. However, no rules say you aren’t allowed to make it your own!
- Simple Base, Unlimited Twists: The original HelloFresh fry seasoning recipe is just a starting point. Feel free to get creative!
- Smoked Paprika Swap: Substituting regular paprika with smoked paprika adds a bold, flavorful kick.
- Textured Spices: Introduce black pepper powder for a more textured blend, complemented by onion and garlic flakes.
- Heat It Up: Love a spicy twist? Add chili powder, cayenne, Szechuan pepper, or habanero chili powder.
- Exotic Flavors: Mix in some coriander and cumin for an Asian-inspired taste.
- Endless Variations: There’s no cap on creativity – keep experimenting to find your perfect blend!
How To Use This Fry Seasoning Recipe
HelloFresh recommends using one tablespoon of fry seasoning per 1 1/2 pounds of ingredients (meats, veggies, or whatever else you are making). So ultimately, that’s one teaspoon for every half pound of ingredients.
I initially thought that this may be too little to actually make a big impact. Again, after some experimenting, I definitely realized that this spice blend is potent, and a little goes a long way.
You can use the spice mix on vegetables, like sweet potatoes, potatoes, pumpkin, butternut, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and beans.
The only way to get your hands on their spice blends is by ordering a kit from them directly. Alternatively, you can buy it from Seasoned Pioneers, which are the spice suppliers for HelloFresh.
Other than these two options, I couldn’t find any other way to buy this blend.
This seasoning is traditionally used for spicing up french fries or potato wedges. However, the list of uses has ever since grown dramatically! It’s so easy to use on various vegetables and even meats.
If you cannot find the HelloFresh fry seasoning blend or don’t have the ingredients to make your own, there are some alternatives. It’s similar to seasoned salt. So anything you can find that contains mainly paprika and garlic powder will work best.
You can store your homemade HelloFresh fry seasoning the same way you would other spices. Keep them inside an airtight container in a cool and dark place.
HelloFresh Fry Seasoning From Scratch – With Easy Variations
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- Measure out all of the spices you want to use.
- Combine them all in a small bowl and whisk them well.
- Use the HelloFresh fry seasoning immediately or store it for later use.