This natural and effortless lemon hack is the ultimate game-changer for a sparkling clean and fragrant kitchen appliance.
If you’re a hygiene fanatic like myself, also check out my guide on the best methods to clean your oven, so you can keep your kitchen spotless and fresh all year round.
Also, check out how you can keep your iron cookware clean and shiny with these amazing guides on The best oil for seasoning cast-iron cookware or how to fix a sticky cast-iron pan.
Don’t miss out on these valuable tips and tricks that are sure to make your cleaning routine a breeze!
How lemons can be used for cleaning
Lemons are an all-natural and versatile fruit that can be used for various household cleaning tasks, including cleaning the microwave. The natural acidity of lemons makes them effective in breaking down grime and grease, while also leaving a fresh and citrusy scent behind.
To use lemons for cleaning, simply cut a lemon in half and place it in a microwave-safe bowl filled with water. Heat the bowl in the microwave for a few minutes until the water begins to boil and steam is produced.
This steam helps to loosen the grime and food particles that have built up in the microwave. Once the steam has done its job, remove the bowl carefully from the microwave and use a sponge or cloth to wipe down the interior surfaces of the microwave.
Additionally, lemon juice can also be used as an alternative to vinegar in cleaning the microwave. Mix one part lemon juice with one part water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it up in the microwave for a few minutes until it boils and produces steam.
Next, take a sponge or cloth and use it to clean the inside surfaces of the microwave. The acidic properties of lemon juice will break down the dirt and grease, while the fresh lemon scent will leave your microwave smelling great.
Not only is using lemons for cleaning an all-natural and effective way to keep your microwave clean, but it’s also an eco-friendly solution that doesn’t involve the use of harsh chemicals.
Steps for cleaning your microwave with a lemon
Here are the steps for cleaning your microwave with a lemon:
- Halve a lemon and extract the juice into a bowl that is safe to use in the microwave. You can also add the lemon halves to the bowl for extra cleaning power.
- Add a cup of water to the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and turn it on high for three minutes, allowing the lemon water to come to a boil.
- Leave the microwave door closed for an additional five minutes to allow the steam to penetrate the grime and loosen the dirt and stains.
- Carefully remove the bowl and wipe the inside of the microwave with a damp cloth or sponge. Stubborn stains can be removed with the lemon halves or with a paste of lemon juice and baking soda.
- Wipe the microwave with a dry cloth or towel to remove any remaining moisture.
The materials you will need for cleaning your microwave with a lemon are:
- One lemon
- A microwave-safe bowl
- One cup of water
- A cloth or sponge
- Baking soda (optional)
Tips for stubborn stains and odors
Here are some tips on how to deal with stubborn stains and lingering odors when cleaning your microwave with a lemon:
- For stubborn stains: If there are still stubborn stains after cleaning with lemon, you can try using a paste made of baking soda and water. Spread the paste over the stain, and leave it for a few minutes before using a damp cloth to wipe it off.
- For lingering odors: Sometimes, despite cleaning with lemon, there may still be lingering odors in the microwave. To combat this, place a bowl of water with lemon slices in the microwave and heat it for a few minutes until it boils. Let it sit for a few minutes before removing and wiping down the microwave.
- Additional cleaning solutions: If you don’t have lemons on hand, there are other natural cleaning solutions you can use, such as vinegar or baking soda. To clean with vinegar, mix equal parts of water and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave until it boils. Let it sit for a few minutes before removing and wiping down the microwave. To clean with baking soda, mix a few tablespoons of baking soda with water to form a paste. Apply the paste to the inside of the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it away with a damp cloth.
When cleaning a microwave with lemons, it is important to take certain safety precautions to avoid accidents and injuries. Here are some tips to follow:
- Allow the lemon and water mixture to cool before removing it from the microwave to avoid burns.
- Make sure to put on gloves to shield your hands from hot surfaces.
- Avoid using metal objects in the microwave as they can cause sparks and damage the appliance.
- Avoid using too much lemon juice or leaving it on the surface for too long, as this can damage the paint and surface of the microwave.
By following these safety precautions, you can ensure a safe and effective cleaning process for your microwave.
Wrapping it up
Using lemons to clean your microwave is an effective and affordable solution that can help you remove stains, grime, and unpleasant odors.
By following the steps outlined in this article and taking the necessary safety precautions, you can enjoy a clean and hygienic microwave without the use of harsh chemicals.
Remember to clean your microwave regularly to maintain its longevity and prevent the build-up of harmful bacteria.
Try out this natural cleaning solution with lemons and enjoy a fresh and clean microwave in no time.
Leave a Reply