This Sweet Potato Cake will surprise you with its deliciousness – it’s perfect for any special occasion! In this post, I’ll show you how to make a sweet potato cake from scratch. It’s super easy to make and keeps really well too, so you can enjoy it long after the party is done. The sweet potato pairs beautifully with the subtle coconut flavor from the coconut milk and flour, making this cake irresistible.
Flour: You can use all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour.
Baking Powder: This is used to help the cake rise, so it’s important not to skip it.
Sweet Potatoes: I recommend using orange sweet potatoes as they have a lovely flavor and sweetness that goes really well with coconut milk.
Sugar: I like to use brown sugar in this recipe as it gives a lovely caramel flavor.
Salt: Just a pinch of salt helps to bring out the sweetness and flavor of the cake.
Eggs: I use 3 large eggs for this recipe.
Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter.
Buttermilk: You can use whole milk or skimmed milk if you don’t have buttermilk.
Cinnamon: This is optional, but I love the flavor it gives to the cake.
Vanilla Extract: This is also optional, but I find it really enhances the sweetness of the cake.
Nutmeg: Again, this is optional but I really love the flavor it gives.
Orange Zest: This adds a really nice touch of citrus flavor to the cake.
Walnuts or pecans: You can use either walnuts or pecans in this recipe. If you’re not a fan of nuts, then you can leave them out altogether.
How to Make Sweet Potato Cake
Once the oven is preheated, start by mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl. This includes flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest. Set this mixture aside for now.
In a separate bowl, combine and mix the wet ingredients. This includes the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, butter, and buttermilk.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until they are just combined. Don’t overmix!
If you are making layers, divide the batter evenly into three bowls. If not, leave the batter in one bowl.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50 minutes.
After taking the cake out of the oven, allow it to cool before frosting it with a thin layer of frosting. Put it in the fridge for around 15 minutes so that the frosting can set.
Now, Frost the entire cake with a thicker layer of frosting, making sure to evenly cover the sides and top.
Decorate the cake however you want and then put it back in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
Enjoy your Sweet Potato Cake!
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup cream cheese, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
16 oz powdered sugar
In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together. Add the vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar; mix well. Cover the cake with the frosting.
You can top your sweet potato cake with anything you like. I recommend chopped walnuts or pecans, but you could also use raisins, dried cranberries, or even chocolate chips. Enjoy!
So there you have it – my delicious Sweet Potato Cake recipe that is perfect for any special occasion! I hope you enjoy it
Tips & Tricks
- If you want to make this recipe into cupcakes, reduce the baking time by about 15 minutes.
- You can also use a different type of frosting on your sweet potato cake – such as chocolate frosting or lemon frosting.
- For a richer flavor, try using dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar.
- You can also add some orange zest to the frosting for an extra bit of citrus flavor.
- If you’re not a fan of nuts, then you can leave them out altogether.
How about Air-frying?
You can use an Air Fryer to make this recipe! Just follow the same instructions as above, but bake the cake at 400°F / 200°C for about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before frosting it. Enjoy!
How to store the Sweet Potato Cake
The Sweet Potato Cake will keep in the fridge for up to four days.
That’s it – I hope you enjoy my homemade Sweet Potato Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Icing as much as I do! Thank you for reading and happy baking!
How to Make Sweet Potato Cake from Scratch
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups sweet potatoes cooked, mashed, and cooled
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- walnuts or pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Grease and flour three cake pans if possible for the different layers.
- If you only have one pan, that's okay, just make sure to grease it well. Below you will find the tip on how to make layers using only one pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest; mix well. Set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, butter, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; mix just until well combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Divide your batter into 3 bowls if you are making layers using separate pans. If not, leave it in one bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake at 350°F / 175°C for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool before for a few minutes before taking it out of the pan.
- Put it in the freezer and take it out after around 45 minutes.
- TIP: If you have used only one cake pan and want to make layers, you can now cut the cake into three equal parts using a serrated knife.
- Coat the layers with a thin layer of frosting and stack them one on top of the other.
- Put them in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Frost the entire cake with a thicker layer of frosting, making sure to cover the sides and top evenly.
- Decorate it however you want and then refrigerate it again for around 15 minutes.
- There you go! Your Sweet Potato Cake is now ready to be enjoyed.