Sometimes all you want is something simple. Something fresh that lets the natural flavors of the ingredients come through. That’s exactly what this recipe is. It’s quick, simple, and a perfect feel-good wholesome meal without the need for much in the way of additional spices.
The base flavors of the Salmon, the peas, and the mashed potatoes speak for themselves in this recipe. The key to letting those natural flavors shine is to use your steamer. Steaming is arguably the best way to cook your food. Let me convince you why: Steaming uses a gentle head to circulate your food in an even manner. Because it is gentle heat, your food won’t burn or be scorched and instead will be tenderly cooked. You also won’t dry out your food (which is very important for Salmon!), and your food retains more of its natural flavor, texture, and color.
Steamers have been used for centuries all over the world. They fell out of fashion for a while there but are thankfully coming back with a vengeance. Steaming is also a much healthier method of cooking as you lose far fewer nutrients through this cooking process meaning your body gets the chance to absorb so much more goodness from the food. This, in addition, means you need less salt and oil to boost flavor, which is great for your cholesterol and heart health. You can also cook pretty much anything in it! All around, the benefits are fantastic.
SALMON WITH PEAS AND MASHED POTATOES
- 1 pound Potatoes
- ½ pound Peas
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 4 (6-ounce each) fillets Salmon skinless and boneless
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces and place them on a steamer tray with milk, butter, salt, pepper, and ginger. Cook at 200°F / 100°C for 20 minutes.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and place them in a steamer tray. Continue cooking at 175°F / 80°C for 8 minutes.
- Add the peas with 1 teaspoon of butter in a separate small tray and add them to the steamer.
- Take the potatoes out and mash them with a potatoes masher or a fork.
- Arrange the salmon fillets on the mashed potatoes and the peas. Decorate it with a little bit of olive oil and edible flowers.