Cauliflower isn’t everyone’s favorite vegetable which is why it is often hidden under a blanket of cheese sauce or blended into a smooth, creamy soup. However, this Cauliflower and Chickpeas recipe on Avocado Toast will readjust your perspective on this much-maligned vegetable.
Roasted cauliflower is such an underrated side dish. Why, I have no idea! The crisp bitterness of the cauliflower softens until tender and nutty, and those charred crispy edges and sides are such a tasty contrast. Add some protein-rich chickpeas, a splash of lemon juice for zing, and, for an incredibly quick lunch, pile them all into your air fryer for when you’re feeling tired or uninspired – I know I’ve been there. Read on to find out how to make my lemony cauliflower and chickpeas in the air fryer!
WHAT INGREDIENTS WILL I NEED?
My recipe for air fryer cauliflower and chickpeas is so easy and is exactly what you need for a quick work-from-home lunch. All you need is:
1 medium cauliflower – cut this into bite-sized florets. If you’re not sure about cauliflower, I urge you to think again and try this recipe. Air fryer cauliflower is crispy yet tender and almost nutty in flavor. It is also incredibly healthy, full of fiber, and is great for gut health.
1 can of chickpeas – canned chickpeas are preferable to dried ones which take much longer to prepare and cook. Plus, a can of chickpeas only costs a few cents.
Olive oil – this dish is entirely vegan so if you want a healthy lunch, I recommend you use some extra-virgin olive oil which is unrefined and full of antioxidants and can also boost weight loss.
Lemon juice – I think lemon juice should be a third seasoning along with salt and pepper. Here, it balances the cauliflower and chickpeas with a burst of tangy freshness.
Flatbreads – I love substituting toast for flatbreads. They are so soft and chewy compared to crisp sourdough, which can be challenging to eat for all their sharp edges.
Avocados – as one of the favorite ingredients of a healthy vegan diet, avocados are full of healthy fats, protecting against heart disease, as well as fiber and vitamins. It also provides vegans with essential protein and fatty acids which are often difficult to find.
HOW TO MAKE MY AIR FRIED CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEAS?
It’s really so simple! Here’s what you need to do:
- Divide the cauliflower into florets which are easy to eat without cutlery (unless you eat your avocado toast with cutlery!)
- Empty your can of chickpeas into a colander and rinse in cold water. Toss to remove any excess water and pat dry with a piece of kitchen towel.
- Combine the cauliflower and chickpeas in a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Turn on your air fryer and set the temperature to 425ºF/220ºC. Fill the basket with all the lemony cauliflower and chickpeas, and roast for 20 minutes until the cauliflower is charred and tender, and the chickpeas are crispy.
- Serve on top of avocado flatbreads.
WHAT ARE AIR FRIED CHICKPEAS LIKE?
Chickpeas cooked in the air fryer are so addictive. Not only are they cheap and healthy, but add a little oil and heat and their outsides become incredibly crispy, yet the insides stay meltingly soft. Add a sprinkle of seasoning and you have the easiest, laziest vegan snack ever.
Now, combine these crispy roasted chickpeas with some fresh lemon juice, tender, and charred cauliflower, and pile it all on top of some creamy smashed avocado flatbreads – the lunch of dreams! All the different textures and flavors come together for a nutritious and delicious meal.
CAN I MAKE THE CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEAS IN ADVANCE?
Absolutely! If you need a few days of lunch stored in the fridge, make a full batch of my lemony cauliflower and chickpeas and keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days in a plastic container.
To prepare for lunch or a snack, simply preheat the air fryer, or the oven, and gently warm the cauliflower and chickpeas for 5 minutes.
Here is my recipe for a mouthwatering and healthy vegan lunch with my lemony cauliflower and chickpeas served on avocado flatbreads. Full of nutrients including fiber, protein, and healthy fats, it is the perfect lunch for a busy day!
AIR FRYER LEMONY CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEAS
- 1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 Flatbreads toasted
- 2 Avocados mashed
- Mix the chickpeas, cauliflower, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
- Transfer the mixture to an air fryer basket and air fry at 425ºF / 220ºC for 20-25 minutes.
- Spread on top of the flatbread along with the mashed avocado. Sprinkle with more pepper and salt and serve.