Cod is high in lean protein (85 grams of Atlantic cod has 19 grams of protein) and low in fat. It is also a great source of B vitamins, including B12, which most of us in the western world are deficient in no matter what our diet is.
This is one of my go-to dishes for a party or having friends or family over. So much so that if they happen to be absent, questions are asked! I also like them as a light lunch serving them up with some fresh crispy greens and maybe a bit of sriracha mayo drizzled over the top. They are so quick to make! Just 12 mins into the air fryer, you’ll be munching on these little flavor bombs in no time. So why not give them a go!
The great thing about this recipe is that the cod cakes are cooked in the air fryer. Air frying is a much healthier way of cooking than traditional frying as it doesn’t use oil. This keeps the calorie count low and the nutrient levels high. So you can enjoy as many as you like guilt-free. Cod itself isn’t often touted as a healthy fish, but it is actually packed full of some essential macro and micronutrients that are great for us.
BREADED COD CAKES WITH SALAD GREENS
- 1 pound Cod fillets cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup Packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups Salad greens for serving
- In a food processor, pulse cod, basil, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper until cod is finely chopped, stirring occasionally. Form into 8 patties, about 2-inches in diameter.
- Dip each piece first into the egg, then into the panko, patting to adhere. Spray with oil on one side. Working in batches, place half the cakes in the basket, oil-side down; spray with oil.
- Air fry at 400ºF / 200ºC for 12 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Serve cod cakes with salad greens.