Tofu gets a bad reputation a lot of the time for being bland, rubbery, and not the most delicious food. But when prepped and cooked correctly, it can be so delicious and incredibly satisfying.
The key thing to remember is that tofu is an ingredient you need to add flavor to, not one you pull the flavor out of. That’s why I love this recipe so much and whip it out when I’m creating a bit of a spread for people to tuck into. Garlic, Onion powder, and dried herbs bring those wonderful Mediterranean flavors, while the soy sauce adds that hit of umami that tofu soaks up so well.
The most essential step in preparing your tofu is to drain it properly. This is where most people go wrong because if you don’t, there will be too much moisture left in the tofu, and it won’t soak up all those gorgeous flavors.
This is why you get bland, boring tofu!
It’s a super simple process to drain tofu if you don’t have a tofu press.
Here’s a quick step by step:
- Place a couple of sheets of paper towel on a plate.
- Take the tofu out of its packaging, drain off the water, then place it on top of the paper towels.
- Put another two sheets of paper towel on top of the tofu, and then another plate on top again. This way you have your tofu sandwiched between two plates with paper towels to help soak up the liquid.
- Next, you’ll want to add something heavy to the plate on top. A bag of flour, or a good wooden chopping board, something like that.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes to let all the liquid drain out. You may want to change the paper towels 15 minutes in as there will be quite a lot of liquid that comes off.
Trust me, it is so worth it to go through this draining process. You’ll have gorgeous mouthfuls of tasty tofu every time, guaranteed
CLASSIC AIR FRYER TOFU
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- Black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces Extra-firm tofu pressed and cubed
- First, take a large mixing bowl, and whisk the soy sauce, water, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, and black pepper.
- Add the tofu cubes, stirring to coat, and let them marinate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the tofu in the air fryer basket and bake at 400ºF / 200ºC for 10 minutes until crisp. Flip the tofu halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from the basket and transfer to a serving plate.